Guest tomcal

NY TIMES article on Brazil's Economy

• Members

I live here and see it every day. Some of it is real. Some of it is not. The prices quoted are of course for tourist/Zona Sul areas of the city. Go to upper middle-class neighborhoods like Tijuca, Andarai, Humaita and Laranjeiras. Things are not so inflated.

Salaries here have gone up. The firefighters just finagled a minimum 25% raise. Yep. 2-5%. Teachers are now screaming for raises as well. Last spring(fall in the US) the bank employees struck and received raises. I expect the same again. Ditto in the news last week the social security payments to retirees are going to be increasing. The percentage rate is under discussion.

But, and a big but, if one eats at the por quilos or cooks at home, prices are reasonable. McDonald's (which is mentioned in the article)and Burger King do nor even taste like back in the US. I get my freshly-ground eye of round steak here for $5.00/pound and boneless/skinless chicken breast for $2.00/pound. And I love to cook. So I'm still happy. As to the rest? Haggen-Dazs costs $12.00US per pint, imported from France, but I've never met anyone who has tried it. Just crazy. It all depends on where your interests lie.

I can still see free movies and plays around the city. And Petrobras is bringing in the Kirov for subsidized performance of "Swan Lake" at the end of August. Just saw the ads yesterday for the shows at Teatro Municipal. Meio Mundo is still reasonable and last week the programa was only 70 for a full hour. He was thrilled as that more than covered his entry and transport. I satisfied his stomach with a plate of food for 9Reais and he more than did the same for me upstairs. And how.

• Members

ihpguy-

I am more than sure that you are correct. This comment may be about 10 years or so out of date but at that time it was commonly said that to live in NYC the first 25,000 was just a "living tax", meaning the extra cost of being in NYC. Many large cities around the world have the same "tax" and Rio and others in Brazil doubtless are the same. It seems that where ever there is a lot of "activity" there is inflation, one way or another.

However, Brazil does have a lot going for it at present. A seemingly stable government, an increasing economy, large, recently discovered oil reserves, a reduced dependance upon oil, an aviation industry and many "forward" looking investors, business persons, etc. Sounds like a good place to be. ^_^

As a pilot and aviation business person, I wonder what my opportunities might be? If the US economy "tanks" I might have to find out. Now where is my Rosetta Stone Portuguese language lesson?

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

Was Flying Down to Rio before or after the "road" movies? ^_^

The picture looks like something Hope, Crosby, etc. would have included in one of the road movies.

Best regards,

RA1

Otherwise, I don't have the legs for such an entrance.

• Members

Yesterday I took the boat in for a date with a new boyfriend. For a second date, it went pretty well. On the way back home, I passed the perfect example of Expensive Rio: Burger King Whopper With Cheese for get this,15.90Reais or about $10.00US at a new franchise in Centro. And only half a block away was a traditional, tasty half galeto(month-old, rotisserie-grilled baby chicken)meal for lunch/dinner with rice, beans, french fried and a bowl of molho de campanha, basically a bland pico de gallo for 2 Reais less. The most popular option are the regular por quilos where you can eat well for 8-10Reais or the businessman's special place for the Prato Feito/Prato Executivo everywhere for 8.50 - 12.00 Reais right now. We went to one of my favorites on the Largo do Machado. Sirio-Libano Rotisserie for Arab food. Really great hummus. Topped with chopped onion. tons of parsley. Good pita. Lots of good sucos. They do grilled chicken breast with rice and veggies, topped with fried onions. Including the service - 26Reais for the two of us. But a tourist would probably never find the place. Lunches here it's packed with a long wait for table service. Even at the counter. Dinner was almost as busy. He'd never been and was surprised as lunch is a bigger meal here than dinner at a place like this.