Guest hitoallusa

The Help By Kathryn Stockett

Guest hitoallusa

I've started reading The Help and I think it's a great book. I rarely read non-fictions these days but a movie based on the novel is in theaters so I decided to check the book out. I think I will head out to see the movie this weekend. I hope it's as good as the book. Has anybody seen it yet?

• Members

Four or five of my women relatives read the book and saw the film a few days later. They had nothing but positive things to relay afterwards but was slightly troubled by a few of the changes that were not true to the book.

A friend told me NOT to read the book but go see the film. I complied and am truly elated that I did. I thought the movie version was dynamic as well as poignant; I've also concluded that "it was history" although based on a fictional work.

I was in a few high school classrooms last week and asked who'd read as well as seen. Some students had done one or both, and their assessment of THE HELP was indeed positive.

Who are today's maids?

• Members

It's such a great movie. Viola Davis is amazing and the lady who played "Minny" is pretty good. There are a lot of hot guys in the movie.

Michael James "Mike" Voge is so cute as "Johnny Foote". He is so dreamy.

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/149275

I liked your take on this and agree that "Johnny Foote" was a hot hunk whom I'd love to meet. When he appeared on the screen, my heart leaped ten feet and began some heavy pitter patter! Damn, he's fine!! :P :tongue:

Guest hitoallusa

Do you remember the scene where Jonny and Celia attend the benefit dinner. The camera closes up to the couple but only thing that caught my mind was Johnny even though Celia was wearing a bit provocative dress. At the last scene when he pulled out a chair for Minny at the dinning table. My heart just melted.

I liked your take on this and agree that "Johnny Foote" was a hot hunk whom I'd love to meet. When he appeared on the screen, my heart leaped ten feet and began some heavy pitter patter! Damn, he's fine!! :P :tongue:

• Members

Who are today's maids?

Loved the movie. The scenery was also great. Loved the plantation house that Skeeter lived in with her parents especially the partially overgrown front yard with the massive crepe myrtles.

Today's maids seem mostly Hispanic and Eastern European.

• Members

"I rarely read non-fictions these days but a movie based on the novel is in theaters so I decided to check the book out."

The Help is fiction. My friends raved about the movie so much that we are seeing it this afternoon.

Guest hitoallusa

I know. By the time I re-read my post I couldn't edit it. Thank you for correcting it for me.

"I rarely read non-fictions these days but a movie based on the novel is in theaters so I decided to check the book out."

The Help is fiction. My friends raved about the movie so much that we are seeing it this afternoon.

• Members

Liberal White folks who make movies tend to see things from the prospective of Liberal White folks with folks they identify with playing a leading role (see Mississippi Burning). Still, the critique above is a little over the top. Basically he's bitching that the movie is what it is and not something else.

----

I can testify from my own experience that, at least in Mississippi, the Civil Rights Movement was overwhelmingly Black planned, Black led & Black organized. Whites played a very marginal role.

Guest hitoallusa

You mean my MsGuy was not like Matthew McConaughey as Jake Brigance in A Time to Kill ^_^ I thought you were like Jack in that novel.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A0PDoYAoh1FOpgwAje2JzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA3cnMybzJvBHNsawNpbWc-?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Da%2Btime%2Bto%2Bkill%26ei%3DUTF-8%26fr%3Dyfp-t-701%26b%3D1%26tab%3Dorganic&w=1280&h=720&imgurl=cf1.imgobject.com%2Fbackdrops%2F06a%2F4bc9afa4017a3c181a00006a%2Fa-time-to-kill-original.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.themoviedb.org%2Fmovie%2F1645&size=111.8+KB&name=Time+to+Kill+—+TMDb&p=a+time+to+kill&oid=091369f7c4d47b4e4d70af20595546a5&fr2=&fr=yfp-t-701&tt=Time+to+Kill+—+TMDb&b=0∋=30&no=3&tab=organic&sigr=114t2fdfh&sigb=133gjca8v&sigi=12k3pt03u&.crumb=nWGJyLHJZwh

Liberal White folks who make movies tend to see things from the prospective of Liberal White folks with folks they identify with playing a leading role (see Mississippi Burning). Still, the critique above is a little over the top. Basically he's bitching that the movie is what it is and not something else.

----

I can testify from my own experience that, at least in Mississippi, the Civil Rights Movement was overwhelmingly Black planned, Black led & Black organized. Whites played a very marginal role.

• Members

Three of us joined a packed house to see The Help this afternoon, and we all liked the movie. I decided that the critique I posted above is off base. For one, people are going to see this movie, and it has a message that is still good today. In Palm Springs, there is an apartheid with the Mexican people living together and separate, for the most part, from the whites. The Mexicans are the gardeners and the house cleaners, much as the blacks were in the movie.

What was interesting, too, is that the audience did not want to leave after the movie. Half of the audience was still seated when I left.

As for acting, I thought Minnie (Octavia Spencer) was great, as was Celia Foote (Jessica Chastain). Chris Lowell, as Stuart, was a doll, but I liked Mike Vogel better as Johnny Foote.

Chris Lowell (pic not from the movie)

117.jpg

Mike Vogel

3262_Mike_Vogel.jpg