TampaYankee

15 Dangerous Cities for Driving

• Members

15 Dangerous Cities for Driving

By Colleen Kane | CNBC – Thu, Aug 4, 2011 7:06 PM EDT

There are many ways one could gauge the danger of driving in a particular city, but this list uses the cities with the greatest number of vehicular deaths as a barometer of the danger level. U.S. cities with a population of 150,000 or more were up for consideration, using the most recent motor vehicle crash data available from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s Fatality Analysis Reporting System and General Estimates System.

One particular region of the country, the South, is overrepresented, and within that region one state in particular sticks out like a panhandle: A full one-third of the cities in this list are in Florida. Why does Florida rank so badly? Some blame the high proportion of New York City expats—some driving for the first time in their lives — foreigners, tourists driving in unfamiliar territory, and senior citizens, not to mention spring breakers, who may have compromised vision or reflexes.

Los Angeles didn’t make the most dangerous list, but had the most total fatalities overall, at 293. The city that’s the most dangerous for pedestrians, according to the data, is Pittsburgh, accounting for more than 50 percent of total fatalities.

Here are the 15 cities that ranked the worst:

15. Oklahoma City, Okla.

Population: 551,789

Total fatality rate per 100,000 population: 13.41

Total fatalities: 74

Percentage of fatalities that were pedestrians: 13.5

14. Birmingham, Ala.

Population: 228,798

Total fatality rate per 100,000 population: 13.55

Total fatalities: 31

Percentage of fatalities that were pedestrians: 15.2

13. Tulsa, Okla.

Population: 385,635

Total fatality rate per 100,000 population: 14.00

Total fatalities: 54

Percentage of fatalities that were pedestrians: 18.5

12. St. Petersburg, Fla.

Population: 245,314

Total fatality rate per 100,000 population: 14.27

Total fatalities: 35

Percentage of fatalities that were pedestrians: 28.6

11. Jacksonville, Fla.

Population: 807,815

Total fatality rate per 100,000 population: 14.36

Total fatalities: 116

Percentage of fatalities that were pedestrians: 13.8

10. Lubbock, Texas

Population: 220,483

Total fatality rate per 100,000 population: 14.97

Total fatalities: 33

Percentage of fatalities that were pedestrians: 15.2

9. Memphis, Tenn.

Population: 669,651

Total fatality rate per 100,000 population: 15.08

Total fatalities: 101

Percentage of fatalities that were pedestrians: 11.9

8. Jackson, Miss.

Population: 173,861

Total fatality rate per 100,000 population: 15.53

Total fatalities: 27

Percentage of fatalities that were pedestrians: 18.5

7. Chattanooga, Tenn.

Population: 170,880

Total fatality rate per 100,000 population: 16.39

Total fatalities: 28

Percentage of fatalities that were pedestrians: 17.9

6. Salt Lake City, Utah

Population: 181,698

Total fatality rate per 100,000 population: 16.51

Total fatalities: 30

Percentage of fatalities that were pedestrians: 26.7

5. San Bernardino, Calif.

Population: 198,580

Total fatality rate per 100,000 population: 17.12

Total fatalities: 38

Percentage of fatalities that were pedestrians: 15.8

4. Little Rock, Ark.

Population: 189,515

Total fatality rate per 100,000 population: 17.94

Total fatalities: 34

Percentage of fatalities that were pedestrians: 26.5

3. Augusta-Richmond Co., Ga.

Population: 194,149

Total fatality rate per 100,000 population: 19.57

Total fatalities: 38

Percentage of fatalities that were pedestrians: 15.8

2. Orlando, Fla.

Population: 230,519

Total fatality rate per 100,000 population: 19.95

Total fatalities: 46

Percentage of fatalities that were pedestrians: 10.9

The most dangerous city to drive in:

1. Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

Population: 183,126

Total fatality rate per 100,000 population: 22.39

Total fatalities: 41

Percentage of fatalities that were pedestrians: 24.4

On the safer end of the spectrum, here are the 10 cities with the least fatalities per 100,000 population:

Arlington CDP (census designated place), Va. (0.48)

Vancouver, Wash. (1.23)

Moreno Valley, Calif. (1.57)

Rochester, N.Y. (1.93)

Spokane, Wash. (1.98)

Lincoln, Neb. (1.99)

Aurora, Ill. (2.33)

St. Paul, Minn. (2.50)

Omaha, Neb. (2.51)

Jersey

See original article for additional link at:

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/15-dangerous-cities-for-driving.html

• Members

I am amazed at the MEM statistic. I thought we shot more folks than that on a Saturday night. Wait, this is traffic fatalities, isn't it? I thought I-240 aka the race track, killed that many on a bad week-end. The speed limit on 240 is 55. If you drive 65, you will pass no one. At 70, you will pass a few and at 75, you are basically keeping up with the pack but not passing "everyone". Isn't 20-25 over the speed limit an automatic reckless driving in most states?

Actually, the stat is slightly improving. There have been more than 100 traffic fatalities in MEM for at least 50 years and, of course, today there are many more cars driving many more miles. Perhaps the congestion is slowing them down enough to preculde many deaths, accidents notwithstanding?

I wonder how the count drive by shootings?

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

Actually, the stat is slightly improving... Perhaps the congestion is slowing them down enough to preculde many deaths ?

I heard Fred Smith is restricted to chauffered travel in Memphis now...that would account for most of the improvement. :rolleyes:

• Members

So, if a city is not on the list, can that be considered an endorsement by MER of the safety of the city? Are the same cities on the list at nighttime? What other variables might make the city a less likely candidate for the list? Is it possible that the list is funded by the cities themselves as a roundabout way to encourage tourism to those places? And who is Fred Smith?

• Members

As most of these replies seem to be tongue in cheek, I hope yours are also, Lucky. Fred Smith is the CEO and principal stockholder of FEDEX Corp. I am unaware of any of his driving habits. He is the largest employer in the MEM area and an ex-marine, as well as a pilot, although I have no idea how current.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

So, if a city is not on the list, can that be considered an endorsement by MER of the safety of the city?

The only city this MER official endorses, for walking only, is Montreal -- The Village and Old Montreal, specifically. Chinatown is a bit iffy. The endorsement stops there unless we are talking delis and restos.

I endorse Vancouver, The West End, for people watching from a nice coffeeshop sidewalk table perched on Denman or Davie streets.

Oz my have some recommendations for more distant locales.

• Members

And who is Fred Smith?

What RA1 said.

Plus:

Fred, a Harvard educated Viet Nam era pilot, was (like a number of fighter jocks of my acquaintance) prone to flying his sports cars down urban streets at speeds well in excess of 100 miles/hour. One such late night flight on Lamar Ave. entailed the death a pedestrian & Fred zooming off to his house. To his credit, Fred later avowed that he would never have left the man bleeding to death on the sidewalk if he had realized that he had hit him. :rolleyes:

Memphis being Memphis (and the deceased being Black, poor & obviously in no condition to kick up a fuss), a modest payment to the man's survivors ensured that bygones were bygones. No criminal charges ensued despite the fact that an off-duty deputy sheriff happened to be following Fred's car and witnessed the whole affair. The rumor that Fred was drunk off his ass at the time can be put down to malicious gossip by small minded people envious of Fred's success.

• Members

Do those comments make you a Princetonian? ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

Never heard those rumors and you KNOW how small MEM is, gossipwise. ^_^

However, I did see him in the congregation of Christ Methodist when Mrs. Kemmons Wilson passed away.

• Members

Never heard those rumors and you KNOW how small MEM is, gossipwise. ^_^

The part about the vehicular homocide is stone cold truth, not rumor. That a very modest sum served to quiet the family's grief came from my brother, a V.P. at FedEx. The official explanation of his failure to notice that he had smacked his car into a pedestrian is rather convoluted but involves him being stressed out trying to keep FedEx out of recievership at the time.

It all happened back in the early 70's, RA1, long before you moved to Memphis, which probably accounts for you not hearing about it. Just a few months later FedEx hit the tipover point in cash flow and has been gushing coin ever since. Fred's family dropped their complaint that he had embezzled the family trust fund to the last dollar, that other criminal fraud charge went away and everyone lived happily ever after. :cheer: Excepting, of course, one poor black handyman.

• Members

I have lived in MEM all of my life so this was not before then. I contacted a friend at FEDEX who confirmed your account. So sorry for FS as well as the victim. No one ever wins in these situations. :(

Actually, I had an office at MEM before FEDEX moved here from LIT. ^_^

I remember when they were trolling for pilots and one had to show up with all of their VA benefits available in order to get the Falcon 20 type rating and then, apply for a job at FEDEX. Not everyone who did so was hired. I personally know of a P3 driver who, after getting out of the military, did all that but was not hired immediately. He took another job as a general aviation insurance underwriter which allowed him to continue to fly. Several months later, FEDEX offered him a job which he refused stating that he had been hired elsewhere and would stay with those that hired him. I have always admired him for that, even though most likely it cost him money in the long run.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

RA1, I just reread my posts on Fred and realized that they come across as unjustly harsh. FS is one of the truly great American entrepreneurs still living.

One of his best qualities is his loyalty to his early employees, the ones who stuck with him when the guys who owned the fuel trucks had him on a cash in advance basis, the banks were setting traps to repo those Falcons and he didn't know on Monday how he was going to make Friday's payroll.

Once FedEx hit the tipover point on cashflow, it rapidly out grew most of the early guys's managerial abilities but (unlike Silicon Valley startups) Fred never dumped them overboard. They were eased into makework positions with dignified titles & nice salaries where they had no opportunity to fuck up.

• Members

Yes, the gang of 60. Resented by many but loyally supported by FS. Most are retired or dead by now.

It has been said many times that FS was/is a victim of the Peter Principle and should have stepped aside many years ago. In other words a great entrepreneur but not a good manager. However, it is difficult to depose someone with that many shares of stock and who is not yet ready to leave; not impossible, but difficult.

FEDEX has survived a downturn or two since those kinds of thoughts were circulated, so, maybe he is a better manager than some suppose OR he is listening to those who are.

Best regards,

RA1

I walk in NYC all the time with never an issue. I also love walking in Montreal.

As far as feeling safe, I feel safe in Thailand but I also ride motorbikes here and there is no true tally of the deaths on them here. I have seen tons of accidents here.

Does anyone not feel safe walking in NYC? or Montreal?

• Members

Are you suggesting we walk instead of drive? Certainly that would be better exercise. ^_^

I always feel safe. I never feel safe. A connundrum? Actually, it is just a life practice. I keep moving, rarely staying more than a day or so and mostly less in any one place. Of course, that is made easier by my job description.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest CharliePS

The horrible statistic for pedestrians in Pittsburgh included the wife of an old friend, who was struck and killed on a street in downtown Pittsburgh an hour after arriving there for the first time for a conference.