JKane

RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES movie review.

• Members

I went from zero interest in this movie to thinking it's probably the best of the summer! And people who grew up with the originals or were fans got even more out of it.

The originals came out a bit early for me and the premise seemed pretty hokey so I never bothered. Until several years ago when I saw that Tim Burton abomination which I'd figured put me off the franchise forever. But I kept seeing good reviews and a friend wanted to see this--and there's nothing else out I wanted to see, so I caved.

Man I was glad I did. Other than the one note sniveling that seems to be "Drako Malfoy's" whole range the movie was well acted ("Rodney McKay" is also typecast but also does his usual good job) and very well written. The VFX weren't quite perfect but what was in the trailers is the worst of it, the apes don't live in the uncanny valley for the most part and the animation is very emotive (the actor who played Gollum plays Caesar).

The way things come about and it fits into the lore is *much* less hokey than I thought possible.

• Members

If Tomcal, EXPAT & JKane all liked the damned thing, I'm going to grit my teeth and give it a chance. It's difficult to imagine an interesting Planet of the Apes flic but, for 8 bucks, I'll take a chance.