caeron

Summer things: Farmer's Markets

One of the things I like about summer is farmer's markets. Coming home with fresh stuff, and cooking a great dinner. Today was fresh corn, sauted in butter with salt and black pepper. Roasted beets. Flank steak in a spanish marinade.

The farmer had run out of carrots, so walked across the drive and pulled me some fresh. Tomorrow I'll cook up the summer squash.

What do you love about summer?

Guest gcursor

During the summer (as with most times of the year) I don't really get out much because I'm more of a "nerd" person. Typically I'll be inside with my iPad, computer, or myriad of game consoles or watching a DVD from my collection.

When I do get out, I like to go for drives and see how many guys I can spot with their shirts off.

gcursor

Guest hitoallusa

lol.. I don't turn on my AC unless it gets really hot outside. Let's say mid 90s. I like to sweat. One thing I like about summer is beautiful plants around me and lots of sunshine. In the winter I get depressed a lot due to lack of sunshine.

Air conditioners. :P

I usually go to Alabama and Tennessee to visit relatives in the summer and we always take a trip to the Mennonite farms. They have great vegetables to sell and my Aunts really love going from farm to farm to buy the goods. I always enjoy the after product of fresh squash, fried okra, turnip greens, potatoes, tomatoes, onions, etc. When you have great fresh veggies mixed with good Southern cooking, you have a fabulous summer day!

There are seven tomato plants in our garden. It is mid August. Can I tell you how much it pained me to have to visit a farmers market yesterday to buy two ripe tomatoes? Those 2 tomatoes ended up costing $30 by the time I left the Hollywood Farmers Market!

Boy, I sympathize. I'm in oregon and we've had a grey cold summer so far. We got a community garden and have 9 tomato plants... all of which are still trying to get beyond green tomatoes. I stopped by the local farmer again for some fresh beets and some cherry tomatoes. His couple of full size tomatoes were far too green for me to buy.

But the squash casserole tonight took me back to my childhood, so it's all good!