RA1

Is anyone going for a refund of FET?

• Members

During the "debt crisis" situation the FAA ran out of funding and, in addition to laying off "non-essential" employees, stopped collecting the so called ticket tax aka FET. Guess what? As most of you already know various airlines increased the cost of their tickets to match the previous cost when the FET was still in effect. How nice of them. How greedy of them. So far, DL and US Airways have offered to refund the FET but I have no idea of what hoops one must just through to obtain same.

Does anyone here care to comment on what they had to do to receive a refund?

Thanks.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

Anyone who paid the FET before the FAA was put on "hold" is still entitled to a refund which basically means advance purchase tickets or 1/2 used R-T tickets of certain dates. The airlines owe and may have already paid the FET they collected by now to the US Treasury which only complicates getting a refund.

The next interesting point will be to see if the airlines roll back their price increases instituted to exactly match the FET or try to maintain them.

I follow what the airlines do generally but do not specifically deal with them very much. That is why I was asking for specific results from those who do ride on them.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

I guess it is a moot point now. The IRS has said no refunds and just left the money in limbo or I should say in the hands of the airlines that collected it IF they had not already paid it to the Treasury. It seems that Congress can make the FET retroactive which seems illegal as well as wrong.

I would hate for them to tell me that I had to pay even 1% in increased taxes from the day I started working though today.

Best regards,

RA1