Lucky

House of Boys

• Members

Opening today in New York is a movie called House of Boys. It may not be as exciting as it sounds, we'll have to wait for some New Yorkers to see it and tell us what they think. I doubt it is opening nationally. Maybe in LA.

The NY Times calls it: "A gay tragedy in three acts and more than a dozen excellent songs, “House of Boys” conveys an emotional honesty that overrides its dated style."

But the review concludes: "The storytelling may be heavy-handed, but the soundtrack rocks, and the director’s bittersweet nostalgia should win over the most flinty viewer. Cue Roy Orbison and pass the Kleenex, please."

So, check out the review, then, if you live in New York, go see it for those of us who live in the hinterlands and tell us how many Kleenexes you used!

http://movies.nytimes.com/2011/07/29/movies/house-of-boys-review.html?src=me&ref=movies

• Members

Lurkerspeaks, that's an interesting trailer. I had forgotten that 1984 preceded the age of the gym bunny. But it does look like a heartfelt movie that could be enjoyed even with its look into the worst scourge in gay history. I wonder if young gay men will relate to it.

• Members

Besides Los Angeles and New York, there's a great possibility that this film will be showing in the "once gayest city" of the US: San Francisco. If it does arrive, I will definitely want to see it regardless of the reviews!

Thanks for posting; thanks for the trailer!!!!!

• Members

"House of Boys" played at a recent LGBT film festival I attended. I did not see it, but the word-of-mouth opinion was mixed.

Here are the films I did see with my rankings. Remember: just one person's opinion.

"Judas Kiss" B-

"Jitters" B

"Eating Out - Drama Camp" (most people liked it more than I did) B

"Absent" ("Ausente") A

"Going Down in La-La Land" A-

"Longhorns" B-/C+

"Gun Hill Road" won the Jury Award

"Eating Out - Drama Camp" won the Audience Award

• Members

I was hoping that this thread would prompt at least one New Yorker to go see the movie. I will be in LA next weekend but it is not playing there as far as I can tell. I am going to see the Southern California premier of Jerry Springer: The Opera, which I saw on a large stage in London and absolutely loved. It didn't move to Broadway because of Christian protests.