TampaYankee

Defense Of Marriage Act Challenge

Guest DarnTop82

Good for him but IMO it's a total waste of time.

I don't get this obsession with marriage. It's like the confused minority who tries so hard to act like the popular "race" to fit in. What happened to being happy with what you have? Trust me, from a guy who has been married, it isn't all that. Marriage sucks, and it creates SO many problems. Personally and legally.

Careful what you wish for.

• Members

I don't get this obsession with marriage. It's like the confused minority who tries so hard to act like the popular "race" to fit in. What happened to being happy with what you have? Trust me, from a guy who has been married, it isn't all that. Marriage sucks, and it creates SO many problems. Personally and legally.

Careful what you wish for.

Though I completely agree with you that personally I would have absolutely no interest in getting married, I believe the obsession is one of equal rights and protection under the law, which is really something every American should wish for. It's like that old expression... "I don't agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Guest DarnTop82

Though I completely agree with you that personally I would have absolutely no interest in getting married, I believe the obsession is one of equal rights and protection under the law, which is really something every American should wish for. It's like that old expression... "I don't agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

But as usual, they way it is being done is the exact opposite of the right way. Each state legalizing it and others not doing so, or rather each state one at a time doing it isn't good. So, say two women get married in NY, move to VA and then it's all null?

Again, mobility is serious concern, and not to mention, the giant pain in the arse for what? A certificate? Some self imposed idea of equality?

It's almost reverse psychology. "hey, you CANT pay my taxes for me, you are not GOOD enough"...

Suddenly, people will want to pay my taxes, just because I said they can't. It's kinda childish.

• Members

Again, mobility is serious concern, and not to mention, the giant pain in the arse for what? A certificate? Some self imposed idea of equality?

I certainly am not defending the way it's being done, because it would certainly be nice to have it be universal at the Federal level (or even written into the US Constitution), but that's not appearing to be happening anytime soon.

But you believe it's a pain in the ass because you believe it's just "a certificate" or some "self imposed idea of equality." People who believe in marriage (and that's a huge sizable number btw) consider it a fundamental right. Not to mention, in this country, the institution of marriage carries with it huge federal benefits in the tax code, in the power of surrogate decision making, in ownership in tenancy, etc, etc.

Half a century ago, inter-racial relations were illegal, and entry to restaurants, clubs, modes of transportation, etc could be restricted based purely on race. Fighting for equal protection under the law was not, and should not have been, viewed as a giant pain in the ass just to eat at THAT restaurant... after all, why don't you just go eat at the other one that has food you like better anyway?

In my opinion, you can personally minimize the significance of marriage to yourself and as an institution, but I don't believe any American advocating for democracy or any gay man striving to overcome discrimination should minimize the importance of equal protection under the law.