Guest gcursor

In 3 steps

Guest gcursor

So...another new topic I'm starting..we'll see how long this one takes to die ^_^ Let me explain the premise. Sometimes it is said that certain "skills" or "qualities" can be learned in 3 steps. There might be MANY more, of course, but there might be 3 key ones to start with. My challenge to you then is to do a topic (either humorous or not-so) giving 3 steps on how to do it. I know..you're confused (I would be at this point in time)..here let me give you my example...

THREE STEPS on how to be funny (there are more but these are some of the key ones)

1. OBSERVE everything. What do you see outside your window right now? People might say trees and clouds. Look again though. Look at everything..notice the details. Most of being funny is simply about observing things around you and putting a little twist on it. Also remember that MUCH of humor comes from taking things LITERALLY! That's where much of the material lately seems to come from. Ever drive past a garage sale and think "There are no garages for sale there! false advertising!"

2. BE CREATIVE. People might say well HOW can you be creative? Here's an easy exercise to help your brain start working in more random ways. Think for 5 minutes completely random sentences. For example I might think (you don't have to say it), "The blue ball on the green wind looked at the mirror and laughed" What's it mean? I don't know but you have started getting your mind away from working in the same routine. Do that for a few minutes each day so that your mind can start thinking "differently". Also look into using non-sequiturs so you keep people off-balance and they don't know what you might do next...being funny is about not being predictable.

3. DON'T BE AFRAID. As Batman's father said to him as he died in the first movie, "Don't be afraid". You can't be afraid of being funny. Robin Williams once said that most people have this little light in the middle of their forehead that tells them when they've gone "too far"...he said that his was burnt out. I think of myself much in the same way. But don't be afraid of pushing the envelope. Look at the material differently.

As a very famous person once said, "You can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs". Humor is the same thing..you're gonna break some eggs but eventually you start making some really great omelettes too