Lucky

The Normal Larry Kramer

• Members

While hundreds of gay couples plan to get married Sunday in New York state, activist Larry Kramer won't be attending any of the nuptials. Kramer says:

“These marriages, in whichever state, are what I call feel-good marriages,” Mr. Kramer said. “Compared to the benefits heterosexual marriages convey, gay marriages are an embarrassment — that we should accept so little, and with so much hoopla of excitement and self-congratulation.”

Progress is progress, Mr. Kramer. let those who wish enjoy this milestone in gay rights, even if it isn't the end zone of politics.

• Members

I am sorry Lucky. What is his point? Why does he not see this as progress? What am I missing?

Insofar as these state marriages are not recognized by the federal government, the benefits of the federal government do not apply to them. Thus, in Kramer's view, they just make the couples "feel good" to be married in the state. Until full benefits apply to these marriages, they are just "junior" marriages, not equal to straight marriage. My view is that they represent progress. However, if the bf and I married in New York, we'd come back to California and be considered unmarried. We might feel good about all of the wedding presents you guys send, but that is about it.

On the other hand, an immigration judge the other day took account of the fact that the couple was legally married in refusing to deport the non-citizen. Obama has certified the repeal of DADT, even though the gay couples will not get the benefits awarded to straight military couples. For that to happen, they need to repeal DOMA. That's the biggie here.

• Members

Kudos to the NY Times today. Its Sunday Styles section is devoted to articles about gay marriages, and the wedding photos feature an unusual number of same sex couples. I always look at those photos to see who the cutest guy is. Today it is a Los Angeles man, who married a woman at a golf club in Wyoming. The wedding was presided over by a Universal Life minister...that is, he signed up to be a minister just so he could preside over his friend's wedding. So the sanctity of marriage is strong, just bring along the golf clubs and mail-order minister!

Guest CharliePS

Kudos to the NY Times today. Its Sunday Styles section is devoted to articles about gay marriages, and the wedding photos feature an unusual number of same sex couples. I always look at those photos to see who the cutest guy is. Today it is a Los Angeles man, who married a woman at a golf club in Wyoming. The wedding was presided over by a Universal Life minister...that is, he signed up to be a minister just so he could preside over his friend's wedding. So the sanctity of marriage is strong, just bring along the golf clubs and mail-order minister!

Somewhere among my junk is the certificate I bought years ago, for $15, making me a Universal Life minister (it's probably with the doctorate I bought from Aspen University). I should find it and start charging to perform marriages.