Guest gcursor

The Moon was in my Eyes During a Total Eclipse

Guest gcursor

So the last 4-5 years, I've gotten so that I don't like giving "excuses" anymore. If something goes wrong at work then you might make up this elaborate story about what happened but I started thinking, "Why bother?" Seriously. I got so that when somebody discovered an error I made (and people tend to make errors now and then), I would tell them "sorry" and provide no explanation of went wrong. Inevitably by giving them an excuse of WHY something went wrong then people would spend INORDINATE amounts of time trying to discuss the "error" and try to place blame. I'm more of the type saying "Let it go! We might DIE tomorrow! Do you REALLY FRIGGIN' want to die with the last thought being OH..I wonder why this job didn't run correctly?" It doesn't really solve anything in the end.

This has also started to drift over into my personal life. Somebody might say, "Why did you do xx and yy?" Once again, I've found that this typically doesn't solve the problem and life is just too short. It just dwells on the issue for a longer amount of time.

It's gotten so that if people ask why I do certain things, I'll look at them and either say nothing at all or say "because I did". Oh sure..I can MAKE UP excuses but why even bother? I think this is a sign that I'm growing old and don't have time to spend on stupid little shit anymore.

So what does everybody else think?

• Members

As you point out, gcusor, expanations shade into excuses which invite recrimination and blame fixing. Short of your job being at serious risk, a simple "Oops, sorry about that, I'll need to fix that right away." usually works just fine. :thumbsup:

As to justifying your life to casual gawkers, Ricky Nelson said it faily well:

"You can't please everybody so you got to please yourself."