Lucky

What's In A Coca-Cola?

• Members

A post the other day mentioned that Mexican Coke, popular because it still contains sugar, also contains some ammonia. Now Coke shareholders are pushing an inquiry into whether cans of Coke made here in the USA contain Bisphenol A. "Dozens of laboratory studies have linked BPA exposure to breast and prostate cancer, infertility, early puberty in girls, obesity and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 93% of Americans have detectable levels of BPA in their bodies."

So, if the high fructose corn syrup is your thing, you get the BPA with it. Here's the article on the BPA:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/greenspace/2011/04/coca-cola-bpa.html

I didn't find any evidence that Mexican Coke really has ammonia in it. This article from the NY Times might make you see why it is so popular:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/11/magazine/11fob-consumed-t.html

• Members

In the interest of accurate reporting (I hope Rupert Murdoch is paying attention), the poster (me) indicated that Coke may contain an ingredient made with ammonia.

I've got a case of Mexican Coke to finish up, and I'll keep my fingers crossed they used the kind without ammonia.

The uncertainty was based on the article TY posted about scary food additives, one of which was caramel coloring. It makes the point that suppliers of caramel coloring are not required to disclose whether or not it is made with ammonia, so manufacturers who use caramel coloring may not even know whether it's made with ammonia or not.

Scary Ingredient #2: Caramel Coloring

An artificial pigment created by heating sugars. Frequently, this process includes ammonia.

. . . When made from straight sugar, it's relatively benign. But when produced with ammonia it puts off 2-methylimidazole and 4-methylimidazole, chemicals that have been linked to cancer in mice. . . Unfortunately, companies aren't required to disclose whether their coloring is made with ammonia, so you'd be wise to avoid it as much as you can.

As another poster (you) opined, Mexican Coke may well use caramel coloring that is not made with ammonia.

I like the Mexican Coke too, and I don't believe for a minute that the Mexican authorities would allow ammonia to be used in it.

Personally, I think ammonia is an acquired taste and would prefer that manufacturers package it separately and allow folks to add as little or as much as they like. Same with artificial flavors, artificial colors, Bisphenol A, insect fragments, and rodent droppings. rolleyes.gif

• Members

You won't find me arguing that Coca Cola is a health drink. I know I could lose a few pounds just by giving it up. However, since you mention rats, I did read that

"a person would have to consume 3 million ounces, 154,000 20-ounce bottles of cola per day, to be exposed to the same dose (of ammonia) as a lab rat."

The goal of healthy living is admirable. But people live long lives who smoke or otherwise screw up their health. Genes probably have more to do with longevity than healthy living. So I do what I can knowing that I am a frail human who depends on the genes I inherited to keep me going. I do exercise, quit smoking, avoid alcohol, and eat little fried food or ice cream and I still don't have a six pack.

Now can we go to the House of Prime Rib?

Guest gcursor

I think I agree with Lucky on this. Genes determine so much of what is going to happen to us. I could diet/exercise like a fiend but die young. I've seen some people DRINK all the time and smoke a pack a day and they live to 100!!! When it is time for me to die, it will be time for me to die..no amount of dieting, exercise, or anything else will change the Grim Reaper's mind I'm sure.

Gcursor

You won't find me arguing that Coca Cola is a health drink. I know I could lose a few pounds just by giving it up. However, since you mention rats, I did read that

"a person would have to consume 3 million ounces, 154,000 20-ounce bottles of cola per day, to be exposed to the same dose (of ammonia) as a lab rat."

The goal of healthy living is admirable. But people live long lives who smoke or otherwise screw up their health. Genes probably have more to do with longevity than healthy living. So I do what I can knowing that I am a frail human who depends on the genes I inherited to keep me going. I do exercise, quit smoking, avoid alcohol, and eat little fried food or ice cream and I still don't have a six pack.

Now can we go to the House of Prime Rib?

• Members

Genes are critical but how comfortable will one be during the last 10 or even 20 years of life if one disregards all the other factors? That likely is the "real" reason to observe healthy living, isn't it?

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

Don't mean to give the impression that it's only healthy foods for me, or that we're all being poisoned by what we eat. It's just that I think it's good to be aware of what we put into our bodies and, when possible, go for the stuff that's closer to being 'real food'. if enough of us do that, food manufacturers may take notice. Some already have.

I think our bodies have evolved to get nourishment from the food around us, and evolution takes time. It wouldn't surprise me if humans could evolve to take nourishment from some of the chemicals and fillers going into our food supply today, but I think it will take several generations to 'learn' how to safely metabolize ammonia and azodicarbonamide and such. In the meantime, this stuff could have some unpleasant consequences for the folks whose genes haven't caught up yet.

If I can avoid eating these chemicals without a whole lot of trouble, I will. If not, I won't worry myself sick about it.

Hopefully. sml_6d918420e96f45f396a16989180a7cbd.jpg