TotallyOz

Should Gay Men Be Allowed to Give Blood?

Man says blood center rejected him because he appeared gay. This has caused quite an uproar on many websites. The man, Aaron Pace, says he is not gay but looked gay. The blood center rejected him.

Read the story here:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/6495246-452/man-says-blood-center-rejected-him-because-he-appeared-gay.html

Do you think that Gay/Bi Men should be allowed to give blood?

• Members

Should gay men be rejected from giving blood because they are gay? No. However, should anyone be rejected for past "practices"? It depends.

A straight friend of mine who served in VN was told to never even think about giving blood. I am willing to suppose that it was because he contracted so many STDs and who knows what else while there, although HIV was not one of them.

Obviously this is an issue that is part political and part medical. And, it is difficult to keep things separated, especially when they are "personal".

Best regards,

RA1

Guest Conway

It should come as no surprise that I am the one "no" vote thus far. Like it or not, we are still a high risk segment for HIV. Accordingly, gay men, as well as members of other high risk segments, should not be allowed to donate blood. It's the equivalent of having unprotected sex in my book. It's completely irresponsible to engage in any activity that may cause another person to become infected with HIV.