Guest tomcal

Rio/Porto Alegre June 2011

Guest tomcal

I spent 9 days in Rio and 2 days in Porto Alegre this last trip. There has been a lot of discussion about the number of guys working in the saunas vs. several years ago and the future of the saunas. I think that that overall the impressions of the other posters regarding this, is correct, IMHO, the reasons are different than some have stated and I think no one knows for sure, the economy, the internet,...? I took time this trip to talk to two of the sauna owners as well as 8 different sauna guys as to why some saunas and number of guys working has changed. I will discuss this more in a later post .

I do agree with what was posted that if you had never been to Brazilian saunas before, you would think you died and went to heaven compared to what is available in other parts of the world, with the exception being Thailand which I have no experience to compare! I have been to Barcelona several times this past year, and it's fun but it still doesn't compare to Rio IMHO! The key, is picking the right night at the right sauna! If you think about it, it is no different than gay bars here in the U.S. You can go to a gay bar on one night and it’s packed and the next night empty! (ever visited most U.S. gay bars on a Monday or Tues night?)

I purposely counted the number of working guys on several nights I was in the saunas,(CAVEAT!: this is not a Owner’s count or skewed in any way, and I have no vested interest to either promote or denigrate any suanas/bar. It is my opinion and just what I observed! )

This is a conservative count as I was only counting the guys in the bar area, not knowing how many were in rooms upstairs or in the locker areas. On Friday night, our first night, June 24th, we went to Meo Mundo and at 7:30 I counted 43 guys in the bar area, considering the number that were in rooms upstairs and the number in the locker areas, I would estimate there were close to 60 guys working! Fridays and Mondays are the best there. Sunday night was I think the first time in my 45+ trips to Rio that I did not go with ONE GUY! We went to 117 and Pointe and neither my friend or I found anyone that we were attracted to. I didn’t do a count because it wasn’t necessary, there less than 15 guys working at either place! So I would recommend setting up a date with one of your favorites on Sunday nights to be sure you will have someone you like!

On Monday night the 27th, I celebrated my birthday At Meo Mundo, and I counted 52 guys, again with the same parameters as above, so overall I would estimate 60+ guys working. !

On the following Weds night the 29th there were 12 guys working at Meo Mundo at 6:30, so it shows the difference depending on the night. (although I did find two in those 12 that I went up with, including the giant dicked twink!) So it’s not always about how many!

We arrived in Porto Alegre on Friday July 1st, and at around 7:00 p.m. I counted in the main bar area and there were 74 people, almost split evenly numbers wise between customers and boys! Given that they have 15 suites there and two TV rooms, I would estimate the total number to be close to 100, again about evenly split between customers and boys!

We went to Bar Mixx at 10:30, it is in a new location and it was a lot of fun and the layout of the bar which is in a converted house I think, was really enjoyable and we both liked it…could have been that e both picked up guys there that colored our judgement! LOL There were about 20+ guys there working, about ½ we recognized from the sauna and ½ were guys who don’t work at the sauna but go there to pick up extra cash on the weekends. I ran into my German construction worker who I seem to run into every trip there over the last 5 years. He doesn’t work at the saunas and only goes to the bars on Friday nights to make extra money, and he always seems to know when I am in town! don’t know how he does that! 

GOOD STUFF! – Ok, when I went to Meo Mundo on Monday the 27th, we were sitting with 3 boys we knew and I saw two guys walk in who I had never saw before and I was immediately attracted to one. I mentioned it and one of the boys sitting with us says “I know him he is from Belo Hozonte and this is his first night here”. I asked him to introduce us and he went over and brought him back to our table and he gave a big smile and he spoke some English. I asked how hold he was and he said “I am 18, my birthday was 2 weeks ago!” I than had second doubts as that is alittle young and I thought given his limited experience, it would not be that much fun!! BOY WAS I WRONG!! First, I need to go to Belo Horzonte and visit their saunas next trip! All I can say is he taught me things! On last Wednesday night when there were only 12 guys working at MM, both the 18yr old and a 20 yr old guy who I had seen on both the previous Friday and Monday nights were there. The 20 yr old was always surrounded by clients on the busy night, it might have to due with the fact he had one of the biggest dicks I had seen in Rio! My friend said to Me “Raul, is really intrigued by the big dick guy!” Since Raul is a power bttm, I suggested that we take the 20 yr old up to a room and he could do a 3way with us! The immediate giant smile on his face gave me the answer! ……to be con’t

Guest lurkerspeaks

Muito obrigado for your post.. I look forward to hearing more of your adventures from this trip.. How about some pictures to go along with the tales...(or is it tails?)

Guest tomcal

As other posters have mentioned in the past, there are more of certain "body types" at one sauna vs another. Pointe had a reputation of having a majority of body builder, large muscled guys 25+ yrs, 117 had a mix of athletic gym toned bodies with some twinks and body builder thrown in, and Meo Mundo was the "natural" type, regular guys 18 - 21 for the most part. While I appreciate everyone has their preferred type, I don't understand the over used steriod, muscled "shoulder caps" type bodies that seem to be growning in numbers at the saunas, especially at 117. So many of these guys are now using steriods and they all talk about it! There were 15 guys there last Friday night that all looked like someone had stuck grapefruits on top of their shoulders and under their skin. Two guys who two years ago I had been with showed up, many lbs heavier and carrying the grapefruits on their shoulders! IMHO, not a attractive look. But, there were at least 1/2 dozen of this type at Pointe as well. Meo Mundo didnt have any, and one of the reasons I spent more time there.

Latinjocks.com does alot of recruiting at the saunas for their films so I will check and see if I can find some photos to post of this "look"! I think at least 1/2 of the guys on Latinjocks i have seen in the saunas over the years and their local recruiting agent is a former sauna boy. Ok enough of this rant! :-)

• Members

I spent 9 days in Rio and 2 days in Porto Alegre this last trip. There has been a lot of discussion about the number of guys working in the saunas vs. several years ago and the future of the saunas. I think that that overall the impressions of the other posters regarding this, is correct, IMHO, the reasons are different than some have stated and I think no one knows for sure, the economy, the internet,...? I took time this trip to talk to two of the sauna owners as well as 8 different sauna guys as to why some saunas and number of guys working has changed. I will discuss this more in a later post .

I do agree with what was posted that if you had never been to Brazilian saunas before, you would think you died and went to heaven compared to what is available in other parts of the world, with the exception being Thailand which I have no experience to compare! I have been to Barcelona several times this past year, and it's fun but it still doesn't compare to Rio IMHO! The key, is picking the right night at the right sauna! If you think about it, it is no different than gay bars here in the U.S. You can go to a gay bar on one night and it’s packed and the next night empty! (ever visited most U.S. gay bars on a Monday or Tues night?)

I purposely counted the number of working guys on several nights I was in the saunas,(CAVEAT!: this is not a Owner’s count or skewed in any way, and I have no vested interest to either promote or denigrate any suanas/bar. It is my opinion and just what I observed! )

This is a conservative count as I was only counting the guys in the bar area, not knowing how many were in rooms upstairs or in the locker areas. On Friday night, our first night, June 24th, we went to Meo Mundo and at 7:30 I counted 43 guys in the bar area, considering the number that were in rooms upstairs and the number in the locker areas, I would estimate there were close to 60 guys working! Fridays and Mondays are the best there. Sunday night was I think the first time in my 45+ trips to Rio that I did not go with ONE GUY! We went to 117 and Pointe and neither my friend or I found anyone that we were attracted to. I didn’t do a count because it wasn’t necessary, there less than 15 guys working at either place! So I would recommend setting up a date with one of your favorites on Sunday nights to be sure you will have someone you like!

On Monday night the 27th, I celebrated my birthday At Meo Mundo, and I counted 52 guys, again with the same parameters as above, so overall I would estimate 60+ guys working. !

On the following Weds night the 29th there were 12 guys working at Meo Mundo at 6:30, so it shows the difference depending on the night. (although I did find two in those 12 that I went up with, including the giant dicked twink!) So it’s not always about how many!

We arrived in Porto Alegre on Friday July 1st, and at around 7:00 p.m. I counted in the main bar area and there were 74 people, almost split evenly numbers wise between customers and boys! Given that they have 15 suites there and two TV rooms, I would estimate the total number to be close to 100, again about evenly split between customers and boys!

We went to Bar Mixx at 10:30, it is in a new location and it was a lot of fun and the layout of the bar which is in a converted house I think, was really enjoyable and we both liked it…could have been that e both picked up guys there that colored our judgement! LOL There were about 20+ guys there working, about ½ we recognized from the sauna and ½ were guys who don’t work at the sauna but go there to pick up extra cash on the weekends. I ran into my German construction worker who I seem to run into every trip there over the last 5 years. He doesn’t work at the saunas and only goes to the bars on Friday nights to make extra money, and he always seems to know when I am in town! don’t know how he does that! 

GOOD STUFF! – Ok, when I went to Meo Mundo on Monday the 27th, we were sitting with 3 boys we knew and I saw two guys walk in who I had never saw before and I was immediately attracted to one. I mentioned it and one of the boys sitting with us says “I know him he is from Belo Hozonte and this is his first night here”. I asked him to introduce us and he went over and brought him back to our table and he gave a big smile and he spoke some English. I asked how hold he was and he said “I am 18, my birthday was 2 weeks ago!” I than had second doubts as that is alittle young and I thought given his limited experience, it would not be that much fun!! BOY WAS I WRONG!! First, I need to go to Belo Horzonte and visit their saunas next trip! All I can say is he taught me things! On last Wednesday night when there were only 12 guys working at MM, both the 18yr old and a 20 yr old guy who I had seen on both the previous Friday and Monday nights were there. The 20 yr old was always surrounded by clients on the busy night, it might have to due with the fact he had one of the biggest dicks I had seen in Rio! My friend said to Me “Raul, is really intrigued by the big dick guy!” Since Raul is a power bttm, I suggested that we take the 20 yr old up to a room and he could do a 3way with us! The immediate giant smile on his face gave me the answer! ……to be con’t

Tom, you really were adventurous in your having written such an interesting and detailed report. I give you a truly "loud shout out and thank you!" This prepares Barr and me for our impending trip in terms of expectations!!!

Secondly--do you have any pics of your German amigo which can be uploaded here? I'd love to see what he looks like. Barr and I anticipate in going to Porte Algre for the first time when we're in Brasil, but recently neither of us have discussed this component.

Again, muito obrigado!!! :smile: :smile:

• Members

I can second this post from TOMCAL.This past Tuesday night at 117 there were quite a few of the steroidal guys. You've got to remember that it is easy to get an MD's prescription here for legal steroids and they are cheap. Or so I have been told. The nickname for them here is "a bomba" and it makes muscle-building much easier/quicker. And remember that all of the other pills and proteins cost even more money than the steroid injections. Normally only one or two of these types of guys are working at Meio Mundo.

Guest tomcal

Mezzininu Sauna in Porto Alegre is my favorite sauna! It was built three years ago as a new sauna, not a remodel of a existing structure like all the other saunas. It's laid out well, bright and clean. In the first pic I took below, you can see the bar and the balcony area above it and the DJ in the right corner. That level also has the suites. There are 15 suites, all with double/queen or king size beds and attached bath/shower for each.

The guys sitting along the bar in the first pic are a couple of the "boys"! to the left of the first photo is the glass enclosed shower area that faces all the tables. The second photo is a frame I lifed off a video I took of the gogoboy/strippers they have dance on the weekends. I thought this might be interesting for those who haven't seen a sauna before.

• Members

Many thanks! Muito obrigado, Tomas/Tom!!! I think Barr and I really have to make a conscious effort to do a weekend in this city. Last eve after I finished reading and posting--I fired off an email to him regarding this part of our trip. He's game yet highly inquisitive! (You know Barr!!!!) He wanted to know about the hotel. I told him it's Mercure (something).

But, forget about the hotel--I want to meet that German guy, for I already have a penchant for hirsute, hot and hung men from that country!!!

:P:frantics::frantics::P

Guest tomcal

I have never mentioned before one of my favorite places to go to lunch on a sunny day in Rio! When you go to ride the cable car ride to the top of Pão de Açúcar, Sugarloaf, at the base where you get out of the taxi is the start of a military base, war school and officers club,that sits right on the beach. Non-Military people are allowed to go to the officers club for lunch. It a large restaurant and has both indoor and outdoor dining and is the only restaurant to my knowledge that is right on the beach! It has great views of the bar and Pão de Açúcar. We took 3 of the "boys" with us as they had never been to either the cable car ride and had no idea the officers club was even there! There are no signs but walk across the parking lot away from the cable car ticket booth. When we were there, the restaurant was about 1/2 full and we ate on the outdoor patio, next to us was a general with his...umm daugther! :-) Even though most of the diners were military officers and guests no one paid us any attention and the boys were taking pictures sitting on the wall with their arms around each others shoulders. In the first pic below the restaurant is the smaller red tiled builing in the middle left of the pic at the end of the beach! The second pic is the view from our table.

It gets very hot at the top of Sugarloaf so I recommend going there in the morning, get there at 10:00/10:30 and than come down at noon for lunch at the base where it's cool under the shade trees of the restaurant

I did take some boys to Sugarloaf once and they had never been there either. They enjoyed it as much as I did. Or, so it seems.

It is pretty amazing that so many have not been up there. I guess like living in LA and not going to Santa Monica Pier or NYC and not going to Empire State Building.

Tomcal, as always your adventures are amazing and are much appreciated.

• Members

Because of all these postings from Tomcal about Porto Alegre, I decided to go there during my next trip to Latin America. I will spend 2 week-ends (in between, I go to Buenos Aires), booked the Mercure Beverly Hills, as recommended by Tomcal, .. Hope it will be as successful as Tomcal's trips ! Thanks anyways for all the tips, Tomcal.

Paulerio,

I will have a new report for you soon! I am heading back to Porto Alegre in 3 weeks. But, I already have my "regulars" lined up, so I don't know whether I will make it to Mezzininu and BarMixx when I am there!.....Oh who am I kidding? I will be there every night I am in P.A.! :-)