Guest lurkerspeaks

Phoenix weather July 5, 2011

Guest gcursor

Hey...do not start spreading rumors of cataclysmic catastrophes and End of World events happening yet. These are "warm-ups" to December 21, 2012 ....think of them as "rehearsals".

Think about it..do you know how much manpower goes into creating an End of the World "experience"? There are hundreds of thousands of people that will be working on this...from the special FX experts from around the world to the ushers at the actual event. This event has been preparing for THOUSANDS of years.

I can also say, after talking to one of the back-stage people, that the REAL thing on December 21, 2012 (the actual end of the world as predicted first by the Mayans) is going to be a REAL celebration to remember. ALSO remember there is still time to get your tickets early and get a FREE T-shirt and passes to the "END OF THE WORLD" after glow party!!!!!

Gcursor

• Members

It was really neat!! Right out of The Mummy or some Bibliical epic. I suspect there are a lot of pissed off people in Phoenix with dust everywhere in their houses, not to mention cars.

I'm equally impressed with the record temps out there. I cannot imagine living in those temps and now dust storms. Maybe a winter home, but not summers.

• Members

Now what is missing here is a mini-review of what it was like to be in the midst of the storm. Were you there, lurkerspeaks, and, if so, how did it feel to experience this? Is the aftermath a bunch of dirt everywhere?

Guest lurkerspeaks

Now what is missing here is a mini-review of what it was like to be in the midst of the storm. Were you there, lurkerspeaks, and, if so, how did it feel to experience this? Is the aftermath a bunch of dirt everywhere?

pretty much like you expect during storm.. very limited visability..could only see a couple of feet in front of yourself. Very strong winds...Much dust and dirt remaining afterwards. Cars covered with dust. Swimming pools a muddy brown. The dust was so strong at sky harbor airport's baggage area, fire alarms went off. They mistook the dust for smoke. The alarms triggered the doors to all open up, thereby letting all the dust inside the building.. Yesterday, the day after the storms, carwashes had a blockbuster day.... many of hte small selfserv type carwashes had lines all day long of people trying to clean up their vehicles. Pool supply companies were bombarded by people due to swimming pool pumps/vaccuums needing repairs.

Guest CharliePS

pretty much like you expect during storm.. very limited visability..could only see a couple of feet in front of yourself. Very strong winds...Much dust and dirt remaining afterwards. Cars covered with dust. Swimming pools a muddy brown. The dust was so strong at sky harbor airport's baggage area, fire alarms went off. They mistook the dust for smoke. The alarms triggered the doors to all open up, thereby letting all the dust inside the building.. Yesterday, the day after the storms, carwashes had a blockbuster day.... many of hte small selfserv type carwashes had lines all day long of people trying to clean up their vehicles. Pool supply companies were bombarded by people due to swimming pool pumps/vaccuums needing repairs.

Friends who recently moved to Phoenix tried to persuade us to do the same. I'll think twice about it.

Guest lurkerspeaks

I have lived here since 1989. That was the worst dust storm I have seen. We do get monsoons this time of year.. which usually means 30 minutes to an hour of hard rain and/or wind/dust in the evenings, but nothing comparing to that wall of dust..

Just goes to show how unpredictable and how INTENSE nature can be.

• Members

As you all know, there is no such thing as a perfect place to live. They all have pluses and minuses. PHX is no exception. It is very nice in the winter and somewhat or even brutally hot in the summer but, with no humidity. I certainly remember when swamp coolers were THE thing and if I lived in PHX now, I would try to use such for cooling purposes. This method uses very little electricity and only a moderate amount of water. Very satisfactory in all regards.

I have flown out west during several wind and therefore sand or dust storms. There is very little one can do except live through them and clean up afterwards. They are not particularly dangerous, not fun and not for any who have respiration problems, but otherwise just a nuisance, more or less.

These produce limited visibilty for aircraft but, again, are not particularly dangerous, just a nuisance.

I would not disregard PHX as a place to live because of possible dust storms. I also would have to consider how I could personally deal with high temperatures but low humidity. That may or may not be a "deal killer".

AZ may or may not have political situations that may or may not be of consequence to any individuals. One must just decide for oneself in those matters.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest gcursor

I would never live in Phoenix because it has scorpions. Anything that can sting and kill me WITHOUT having had SEX first is terrible...I mean I don't mind dying because I've done it on plenty of dates but first, there DAMNED well better be dinner and a movie along with a little romance before I die!!!!!!! I also won't live in Florida because I hate the ants and the crocodiles or alligators...those BIG things that look 150 years old and BITE (and people are now going to be drawing comparisons). Also I won't live in some other states because I don't trust state names that have an O, P, R, or S in them.

Gcursor

As you all know, there is no such thing as a perfect place to live. They all have pluses and minuses. PHX is no exception. It is very nice in the winter and somewhat or even brutally hot in the summer but, with no humidity. I certainly remember when swamp coolers were THE thing and if I lived in PHX now, I would try to use such for cooling purposes. This method uses very little electricity and only a moderate amount of water. Very satisfactory in all regards.

I have flown out west during several wind and therefore sand or dust storms. There is very little one can do except live through them and clean up afterwards. They are not particularly dangerous, not fun and not for any who have respiration problems, but otherwise just a nuisance, more or less.

These produce limited visibilty for aircraft but, again, are not particularly dangerous, just a nuisance.

I would not disregard PHX as a place to live because of possible dust storms. I also would have to consider how I could personally deal with high temperatures but low humidity. That may or may not be a "deal killer".

AZ may or may not have political situations that may or may not be of consequence to any individuals. One must just decide for oneself in those matters.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

At first I thought that would not leave very many states but it does include 10. They are scattered all over the country. Maine, Delaware, Virginia, Michigan, Kentucky, Indiana,Alabama, Nevada, Utah and Hawaii. 8 of them most likely do not have scorpians. I don't know about NV and UT. None of them have alligators or crocodiles, at least not except possibly in zoos or the like. Any thing might kill you but are the stings of scorpians very often fatal to adult humans?

Nonetheless, I take your point or I think I do. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

Guest lurkerspeaks

It is my understanding that the average scorpion sting is not deadly to most adults.. To small children or the elderly (or anyone else with weakened immune systems) it can be, however. Most people who are stung by scorpions get sick-nausea, swelling around the sting, etc, but it is temporary.

Guest CharliePS

At first I thought that would not leave very many states but it does include 10. They are scattered all over the country. Maine, Delaware, Virginia, Michigan, Kentucky, Indiana,Alabama, Nevada, Utah and Hawaii. 8 of them most likely do not have scorpians. I don't know about NV and UT. None of them have alligators or crocodiles, at least not except possibly in zoos or the like. Any thing might kill you but are the stings of scorpians very often fatal to adult humans?

Nonetheless, I take your point or I think I do. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

My goodness, KMEM, how could you have overlooked the R in Delaware and Virginia? That leaves gcursor with only eight choices. However, he doesn't appear to be averse to having a handle with an O, R or S.

Guest gcursor

Yes I live in one of those states ^_^ I live in Michigan.

Actually when I was writing that post with the O, R, or S, I did it completely on the fly. I just put it in as another conditional after-thought that I thought would get a chuckle. Then when I kept thinking about it the rest of the night, I was thinking "Wow..I didn't plan that but I cut that list down very nicely!"

Gcursor

My goodness, KMEM, how could you have overlooked the R in Delaware and Virginia? That leaves gcursor with only eight choices. However, he doesn't appear to be averse to having a handle with an O, R or S.

• Members

I have no excuse, sir, I have no excuse. ^_^

Otherwise, poor proof reading or something I learned a long time ago and that is some people are so picky, that the easiest way to deal with them is to "leave" a mistake for them to find. That is a generic comment, not directed at you. ^_^

Very likely, after compiling my list, I was thinking about what these states had in common, if anything, and wondering what I was "missing". In other words, like most drivers who try to drive and talk or worse at the same time, I was distracted.

No excuse is probably the "best" reason. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

Guest CharliePS

Yes I live in one of those states ^_^ I live in Michigan.

Actually when I was writing that post with the O, R, or S, I did it completely on the fly. I just put it in as another conditional after-thought that I thought would get a chuckle. Then when I kept thinking about it the rest of the night, I was thinking "Wow..I didn't plan that but I cut that list down very nicely!"

Gcursor

There are no state names that include all four of the forbidden letters. However, I suspect a vacation in Palm SPRingsS, califORnia, would make you nervous, and you certainly wouldn't go to see the Winter Olympics in SaPPORO.

Guest gcursor

Yes it is RA1. This, of course, is our "orange cone" season which comes directly after "Pothole" season which is after Winter that lasts 6 months out of the year.

Gcursor

gcursor-

MI is nice, this time of year. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

Guest gcursor

By the way Charlie..that was some pretty good thinking on your response!!! I don't know about anybody else but I was very impressed!

Gcursor

There are no state names that include all four of the forbidden letters. However, I suspect a vacation in Palm SPRingsS, califORnia, would make you nervous, and you certainly wouldn't go to see the Winter Olympics in SaPPORO.

Guest CharliePS

By the way Charlie..that was some pretty good thinking on your response!!! I don't know about anybody else but I was very impressed!

Gcursor

Thanks. Want to get together in PORtSmOuth, new hamPShiRe? Or PROvincetOwn, maSSachuSettS? Or, if there can be only four letters and in sequential order, big bend natiOnal PaRk, texaS?

(Obviously, I have much too much time on my hands.)

Guest Allessio77

So I got back from ALASKA (where the high over the 10 days was 57) to PhX....my car at the airport was covered in dust and mud.

So maybe it its GODZ punishment for the way AZ treat ihispanics, the sick, our patronage of parks and buildings, guns, prisoners, and shoots any politician who dares raise there voice in protest. Hmmm?