TotallyOz

Michele Bachmann has officially announced her 2012 candidacy. Do you think she has a shot at the GOP nomination?

• Members

Speaking generally, I don't think Congresspeople/Senators/legislators often make very good Presidents. Obviously, a lot of the same skills/attributes are required to get elected, but once in office I believe the requirements for a good elected official to act as one of several dozen (or hundred) legislators are different when you're the sole executive authority.

I think Obama is an example of someone whose skills as a legislator have not translated well into his role as president (and it's small consolation for me to believe that McCain would likely have been even worse). So if I was a primary voter, I'd be less interested in someone who's public life has been spent solely in the state/federal legislature as opposed to someone with actual executive experience running a state or other large public/private body.

Alan