TotallyOz

Victory! New York passed the civil rights bill allowing for gays to marry!

• Members

Good news.

It's going to increase the push to move the issue to the Supreme Court in either of two ways: the constitutionality of denying the right to marry under the Equal Protection Clause or denying recognition in other states under the Full Faith and Credit Clause of the Constitution. As more gays become legally married in more states it is only a matter of time till the SCOTUS has to settle the second issue whether it addresses the first one. In the case for either I suspect the SCOTUS to resolve both issues for once and for all.

It is not inconceivable to me that presently we may have a Plessy vs. Ferguson Court. Kennedy is the deciding vote.

"Presidents lead. They take principled stands, based on their values and convictions, and then they work to create a better world. And this president promised his LGBT supporters on the campaign trail that he would be their "fierce advocate." We took him at his word."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robin-mcgehee/fierce-from-the-sidelines_b_886695.html?ref=fb&src=sp#sb=1064502,b=facebook

• Members

Personally, I think the good Archbishop Dolan is a day late and a dollar short on the the infidelity part but I wish him the best in his new obsessions:

----

NEW YORK — New York Archbishop Timothy Dolan says he's worried that the next step in the marriage debate will be another redefinition to allow multiple partners and infidelity.

Writing on his blog Thursday, Dolan also lamented the anti-Catholic venom that surfaced in the gay marriage battle, saying he's worried that "believers will soon be harassed, threatened, and hauled into court" for their convictions.

He also apologized to those in the gay community who may have been offended by the church's stance, saying he's honored that so many gays are at home in the Catholic Church and that his goal from the start was "pro-marriage, never anti-gay."

----

Is this the same guy who instructed his local parish & church organizations this week to kick out any politician who had supported gay marriage? I'm not really sure, maybe it was some other NY bishop.