Lucky

Firefox Questions

• Members

Can someone tell me why Firefox updates so often? Once it updated two days in a row. And it seems to get worse with each update. I remember thinking what an improvement it was over Internet Explorer, but now I might just go back to that. I have Chrome too, but it has far more ads than Firefox.

BTW, the new Firefox 5.0 is incompatible with the Google toolbar. How's that for looking out for number one?

Guest gcursor

The short answer to your question, "WHY DOES FIREFOX UPDATE SO MUCH?" is because they can.

There is a way to alleviate this. Just because FIREFOX updates doesn't mean you have to update as well. iTunes is very famous for updating and I rarely update although there are certain cases where you're forced to do so.

To stop the automatic updates,

look under

TOOLS, OPTIONS, Advanced

Update

and on the option WHEN UPDATES TO FIREFOX ARE FOUND:

select ASK ME WHAT I WANT TO DO

Also you can further enhance this by doing the following in the same area:

Uncheck: Automatically check for updates to:FIREFOX and ADD-ONS

hope that this helps,

Gcursor

• Members

Updates are of three types: adding new functionality, providing performance patches, and providing security patches. The big upgrades, i.e. 3,4,5, etc always have new functionality. The smaller upgrades are ususal dealing with performance issues or security issues. Each update notice explains what the update is for. You have to search for the link on the page.

I never do a mjaor update without searching for online reviews about it. I disliked version 4.0 and went back to 3.12 or something like it until they fixed severe performance issues in 4.0 with later updates.

I also use IE also and updated to 8 to 9 when it came out. The reviews said good thinngs. I found that 9 sucked in terms of the look and feel that I liked. I reverted to 8.

I also set my systems to ask before updating. I never mix tool bars and browsers myself. Just not confident enough about compatibility. FWIW

I update every program including Firefox, IE and Safari the day it comes out. I rarely have issues with anything other than IE.

As a programmer, I can tell you, EVERY time IE updates, it costs thousands to get compatible with them.

• Members

CNET EDITORS' REVIEW

Reviewed by: Seth Rosenblatt on June 20, 2011

The bottom line: Firefox 5 is a worthy expression of Mozilla's ideals. The browser is competitively fast, sports a new minimalist look, and includes some excellently executed features. Unfortunately, that describes most of Firefox's competition, too.

Review:

Firefox 5 is the first version of Firefox released under Mozilla's rapid-release cycle, which means that instead of seeing a new whole-number version once every year or two, you'll now see one every three months. This follows in the footsteps of Google Chrome, which adopted the rapid-release cycle a while ago and is now up to version 12 (at the time this review was written) despite having its first release only in 2008.

Firefox 4 had a massive impact on Firefox 5, and so this review is not dramatically different from its predecessor. Firefox 4 had a rough time in its early development, but those days are over. The browser that you can download now is in the same speed category as its competition; offers many similar features (stronger in many areas and slightly weaker in others); includes broad, cross-platform support for hardware acceleration and other "future-Web" tech and standards; and is a must-have for Android users (download for Android).

For more see: http://download.cnet.com/Mozilla-Firefox/3000-2356_4-10208569.html?tag=rb_content;main

Read more: Mozilla Firefox for Mac - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Downloads http://download.cnet.com/Mozilla-Firefox/3000-2356_4-10208569.html?tag=rb_content;main#ixzz1QMfxiNlC