Lucky

No Goodbyes to Dr. Kevorkian?

• Members

What a group are we. A man is a leader in his profession, an advocate for sick and elderly around the world, and his death merits less attention here than a Betty Boop outtake. Years from now Dr. Jack Kevorkian will be seen as a pioneer on the concept of choosing to die on one's own terms. Leading a movement mostly by himself, he foundered at times and might have used the help of a Hollywood PR artist, but his concept was sound. Why let pain and disease ruin the the last days of your life? Why become a burden to those who love you because science has a machine that can keep your heart ticking?

• Members

What a group are we. A man is a leader in his profession, an advocate for sick and elderly around the world, and his death merits less attention here than a Betty Boop outtake. Years from now Dr. Jack Kevorkian will be seen as a pioneer on the concept of choosing to die on one's own terms. Leading a movement mostly by himself, he foundered at times and might have used the help of a Hollywood PR artist, but his concept was sound. Why let pain and disease ruin the the last days of your life? Why become a burden to those who love you because science has a machine that can keep your heart ticking?

I read this shortly after I'd heard he died, and while the guy who wrote it wasn't seeking death it certainly is a vivid description of why someone would.

Fucking religious nuts, forcing people to suffer because their fairytale disapproves! I'm a huge fan of Dr. K's work and wish there was somebody continuing his fight to let people die with dignity on their own terms. But instead the law goes after a grandmother selling a bag you could use with helium if you felt the need.

• Members

Did Dr. K leave this mortal coil "naturally" or was he assisted? I have not read that so far but I think he was in pain near the end and might have been a candidate for his own "advice".

It seems the guy in MUCH pain was in Canada. Was he? I am not seeking to indict socialized Rx but this does not speak well for it. Ditto, uncaring and ignorant folks elsewhere, especially the US. His story was poignant. I have to think he would not have survived very long 100 years ago, plus or minus. I am somewhat forced to think that modern medicine does not cure one so much as it provides a longer period of time for Mother Nature to "take over" and do the heavy lifting. Regardless, we all potentially benefit.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

Did Dr. K leave this mortal coil "naturally" or was he assisted? I have not read that so far but I think he was in pain near the end and might have been a candidate for his own "advice".

Dr. Kevorkian died peacefully in a hospital after a short illness, at 83.

It seems the guy in MUCH pain was in Canada. Was he? I am not seeking to indict socialized Rx but this does not speak well for it. Ditto, uncaring and ignorant folks elsewhere, especially the US. His story was poignant. I have to think he would not have survived very long 100 years ago, plus or minus. I am somewhat forced to think that modern medicine does not cure one so much as it provides a longer period of time for Mother Nature to "take over" and do the heavy lifting. Regardless, we all potentially benefit.

Best regards,

RA1

Have no idea if Ian Welsh's ordeal was in Canada, or he's just there now.

But I can't imagine how you could immediately jump to the 'must be socialized medicine--that could never happen in our awesomesauce healthcare system' viewpoint. Of course it could, and does. Only real difference is that down here it would have cost his family hundreds of thousands of dollars / driven them into bankruptcy if they happened to not have insurance or had badly regulated insurance filled with caps and loopholes.

What he was speaking to was more the typical medical megalomania probably exacerbated by a puritanical aversion to "overuse" of drugs--which makes me think it's slightly more likely to have been down here.

• Members

Thanks for the "peaceful" reply. I don't have a clue as to why you think I jumped to any conclusion about medical care, either here or in Canada. I am very much in favor of "enough" pain Rx to make one comfortable during "whatever".

Please don't be so willing to assign blame for whatever.

Best regards,

RA1