Lucky

You Say Grenada, I Say Don't go There!

• Members

I picked this up at towleroad.com:

A 41-year-old man has been arrested by police and charged under the country's sodomy laws after having consensual gay sex with a 17-year-old, the AP reports:

The age of sexual consent in Grenada is 16 but while the sex in question was consensual, local law prohibits sodomy under the charge of "unnatural connection."

Grenada is one of several Caribbean nations that has laws banning sex between men. The penalty in most islands, including Grenada, is up to 10 years in prison, although Barbados and Guyana have life imprisonment, according to a 2010 United Nations report.

(And when I say don't go there, it's because of the anti-gay laws, not the underage laws.)

Read more: http://www.towleroad.com/#ixzz1NSpUcJYZ

Guest zipperzone

I picked this up at towleroad.com:

Grenada is one of several Caribbean nations that has laws banning sex between men. The penalty in most islands, including Grenada, is up to 10 years in prison, although Barbados and Guyana have life imprisonment, according to a 2010 United Nations report.

If the islands could compete on American Idol they would probably win - hands down.

Guest zipperzone

Isn't it illegal in several US States as well? It just isn't enforced.

I don't think it is any more - they finally got rid of those Draconian laws.

• Members

I don't think it is any more - they finally got rid of those Draconian laws.

"They" being the Supreme Court in Lawrence v. Texas in 2003, barely 8 years ago. Lawrence overruled Bowers v. Hardwick, a 1986 case out of Georgia, which basically allowed as how the State of Georgia had every right to criminalize the activities of those creepy queers.

All this stuff is still very much up in the air constitutionally. There is clearly a 4 man block on the Supreme Court in favor of rolling back this line of decisions.

The key vote to sustain these cases is Anthony Kennedy, who is around 75 and who will likely retire sometime during the term of the next president. If a Republican defeats Obama, you can look forward to many of the red states recriminalizing homosexual conduct.

Guest zipperzone

The key vote to sustain these cases is Anthony Kennedy, who is around 75 and who will likely retire sometime during the term of the next president. If a Republican defeats Obama, you can look forward to many of the red states recriminalizing homosexual conduct.

I know I must sound like a broken record - but - THANK GOD I LIVE IN CANADA.

Having said that, our Prime Minister (newly elected with a majority) would probably agree with the Red States if he thought there was any possibility he would not be lynched.