TownsendPLocke

Living in hotels

Guest EXPAT

I used to think I liked going from hotel to hotel. I've traveled to 89 countries in my life but I would not go back to that life at all. I'd rather have a comfortable home that is in a vacation spot which I now have. Not a fan of hotels or traveling anymore.

Guest BeachBoy

I used to think I liked going from hotel to hotel. I've traveled to 89 countries in my life but I would not go back to that life at all. I'd rather have a comfortable home that is in a vacation spot which I now have. Not a fan of hotels or traveling anymore.

89 countries! I've been to 3. Wow.

I wouldn't want to live far away, though. Just in a hotel. The same one, all the time.

• Members

EXPAT-

11 more and you qualify for the Traveler's Century Club. You probably do already as they include places that are not countries but which they deem sufficiently "different" to qualify.

I have only been to 43 countries. I have no idea how many nights in hotels I have spent but for about 15 years earlier in my career I was out of town at least 2 or more nights per week so that would be in excess of 1500 nights out. I still travel but don't spend more than a few nights out of town per year any more. And, I made friends in many of the places that I spent a good deal of time and stayed in their houses or flats.

I don't mind traveling a lot but I do mind eating out so much. Therefore, when I am out of town for certainly more than one night but sometimes only one night, I stay in such as Residence Inns where I can cook for myself. I find it relaxing. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

Guest zipperzone

I'm a real homebody. I like my own bed at night and the security I derive from having all my possessions around me. I love my home and wouldn't trade it for a hotel room regardless of how luxe that may be.

The constant packing & unpacking, relying on others for laundry services etc and always rushing to an airport to be treated like dirt is not my idea of a good time. Call me old-fashioned. I guess I am.

Guest CharliePS

EXPAT-

11 more and you qualify for the Traveler's Century Club. You probably do already as they include places that are not countries but which they deem sufficiently "different" to qualify.

I have only been to 43 countries. I have no idea how many nights in hotels I have spent but for about 15 years earlier in my career I was out of town at least 2 or more nights per week so that would be in excess of 1500 nights out. I still travel but don't spend more than a few nights out of town per year any more. And, I made friends in many of the places that I spent a good deal of time and stayed in their houses or flats.

I don't mind traveling a lot but I do mind eating out so much. Therefore, when I am out of town for certainly more than one night but sometimes only one night, I stay in such as Residence Inns where I can cook for myself. I find it relaxing. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

Is there a Half-Century Club? I've been to 50 countries, although some of them no longer exist, because, like the Soviet Union, they have been broken up, or like East Germany, they have been absorbed into larger ones. (I even lived in a country that no longer exists, Czechoslovakia.)

If we are talking about first class hotels, then of course I could see the attraction of living in them. However, there have been plenty of hotels where I didn't want to stay more than one night. I have checked out of hotels covered in spider bites (Tasmania and California), been frozen in unheated "palaces" (India), and cringed from filthy bedding (Macedonia, among a number of places). Now there is the problem of bedbugs to be considered, even in top hotels, so I am happy to spend most of my nights at home, even if I do have to make the bed myself.

• Members

As with EXPAT, you may have been to more of the qualifying "countries" than you at first thought. Check it out at travelerscenturyclub.org. Even if you only add a few, it might be worth looking at their list.

I agree about not wishing to stay any longer than necessary in many places. I have been cold in Scotland, plenty warm in Iceland and every thing in between elsewhere. I don't even wish to think about noise, lights, bugs and the like. Ugh. They warned me about cobras in Brunei. ^_^

Traveling is fun but a good attitude about it makes it that much easier. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

Guest gcursor

I wouldn't want to live in a hotel but I'd like to try living out of my car for a while with a small shower in the backseat, probably an HD gaming system in the trunk, in-ground pool in the front seat, maybe a little guest room on the roof of the car.

gc

Guest Allessio77

The hotels I would need to live in.....well, there are hotels and then there are HOTELS. lol. Only 23 countries here and most of them were a while ago. I can't stand the airplane travel anymore.

Guest BeachBoy

I wouldn't want to live in a hotel but I'd like to try living out of my car for a while with a small shower in the backseat, probably an HD gaming system in the trunk, in-ground pool in the front seat, maybe a little guest room on the roof of the car.

gc

LOL I think that's called an RV.

Guest BeachBoy

The hotels I would need to live in.....well, there are hotels and then there are HOTELS. lol. Only 23 countries here and most of them were a while ago. I can't stand the airplane travel anymore.

Yeah... I'd want a HOTEL.

I hate flying anymore as well. I wish the train system were better here.