Lucky

Unwanted Toolbars

• Members

Many times when a program updates, they sneak in a toolbar, such as yahoo. You have to uncheck the box to keep the toolbar from installing along with the update. Recently my free AVG antivirus started updating and I unclicked the box to add the AVG toolbar. I like the one I have. Well, they ignored my request and installed it anyway. So I went to toolbars and clicked restore default settings. That got rid of the AVG toolbar...until the next update, when it reappeared without notice to me. I prefer Google search, but they put their own search box more prominently.

So, I completely uninstalled AVG, but the toolbar remains, even when I click restore default settings. What now?

Guest Ronp608

Assuming you are on a PC, try going to "run" off of the start menu, type in "msconfig", look for anything about AVG, uncheck the item ... This may/may not help

• Members

Thanks. Things got worse as apparently I now have Firefox 4 which I hate and have switched over to Chrome. Firefox would not even let me install the Google toolbar, and somehow my address bar got lost and I just gave up. So far Chrome has not added the AVG toolbar.

• Members

AVG isn't a very good antivirus program, especially on Windows 7. Microsoft Security Essentials consistently ranks pretty high in testing and is FREE, without the AVG toolbar BS or nagging you to buy a 'full' version.

I highly recommend it for anybody running Win7 or Vista (particularly 64bit versions).

Link (Microsoft site).