TotallyOz

NY Rangers Sean Avery Makes Video for Marriage Equality

New York Rangers forward Sean Avery has given his support to the New Yorkers for Marriage Equality campaign with a 30-second video.

Avery is said to be the first New York athlete to vocally support same-sex marriage.

The news was first reported by the New York Times.

In the Human Rights Campaign video, Avery, wearing a white shirt and glasses, says: "I'm Sean Avery and I'm a New Yorker for marriage equality. I treat everyone the way I expect to be treated and that applies to marriage."

After showing two shots of him in his Rangers gear -- with the statements "New Yorkers support full marriage equality" and "Do you?" appearing across the screen -- Avery finishes the clip by saying: "Committed couples should be able to marry the person they love. Join me in supporting marriage equality."

"Sean Avery knows what it means to be a leader -- on and off the ice," Brian Ellner, senior New York strategist for the Human Rights Campaign, a national gay-rights group, said in a released statement. "As the first professional athlete in the state to publicly support marriage equality, his voice is sure to resonate. Like a supermajority of New Yorkers, he believes in the freedom of all loving, committed couples to marry."

For the Video and the rest of this article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/news/story?id=6501411