Lucky

Truman Capote's To Kill A Mockingbird

• Members

Lots of hullabaloo lately about the novel, To Kill A Mockingbird, written by Truman Capote some 50 years ago as a present for his friend, Harper Lee, who never seemed to be able to put a novel together herself.

But even without Capote's name on the title, the book went on to sell some 30 million copies, and now the jubilee year is coming up. Harper Lee, however, could not care less. "After all," she said, "everyone knows that Truman really wrote the novel. I've been trying for the 50 years since and haven't even got two pages out!"

Truman did, in fact, once claim that he "helped" write the book. Since Lee won't talk, even after 50 years, we seem left, along with that statement, with the simple logic that Truman Capote could write. His friend Harper, apparently could not. After all, where's the sequel in these 50 years since? "To Kill A Poster?"

Well, I am a Lit major and I learned something today. Thanks. I will know have to reread this sometime. Growing up in Alabama, this was required reading for everyone in high school that can read.

OK, where do you get he wrote this?

• Members

OK, where do you get he wrote this?

Not Wiki for sure:

"Lee's childhood friend, author Truman Capote, wrote on the dust jacket of the first edition, "Someone rare has written this very fine first novel: a writer with the liveliest sense of life, and the warmest, most authentic sense of humor. A touching book; and so funny, so likeable." This comment has been construed to suggest that Capote wrote the book or edited it heavily. The only supporting evidence for this rumor is the 2003 report of a Tuscaloosa newspaper, which quoted Capote's biological father, Archulus Persons, as claiming that Capote had written "almost all" of the book. The rumors were put to rest in 2006 when a Capote letter was donated to Monroeville's literary heritage museum. Writing to a neighbor in Monroeville in 1959, Capote mentioned that Lee was writing a book that was to be published soon. Extensive notes between Lee and her editor at Lippincott also refute the rumor of Capote's authorship.[123] Lee's older sister Alice has responded to the rumor, saying: "That's the biggest lie ever told."

You know, OZ, Lucky has a really dry sense of humor. Sometimes it's best not to take him too literally.

• Members

<font class="Apple-style-span" size="6"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 22px;"><br></span></font>

<div><font size="2"><br></font></div>

Well, that took me deeper into HTML than I ever hoped to go. If OZ or TY can delete these two core dumps, I'll get on about my business. rolleyes.gif

If not, at least I should make the Today's Top Posters list. biggrin.gif

• Members

You know, OZ, Lucky has a really dry sense of humor. Sometimes it's best not to take him too literally.

pernacurta.jpeg

Is he trying to say Lucky's full of shit?

. . No, I think he's trying not to say Lucky's full of shit.

• Members

From yesterday's LA Times, that's where! Of course there is no smoking gun, but that's why I summarized it as I did. She writes one book in her lifetime, then refuses to talk about it?

"There is also material involving Lee's friend Truman Capote — who, jealous of her Pulitzer Prize, claimed he had helped write the book — and speculation as to why Lee never wrote another novel (fear of failure after a monster debut is one possibility)."

And, of course, the second possibility? Can you imagine Capote NOT being pissed that she got a Pulitzer for his book?

Guest hitoallusa

Lookin that is the cutest picture ever. You made my day!!! The girl on the left looks like my friend when she was a kid.