Lucky

The Season Is Over

• Members

For the last 4 months, the Palm Springs area has been in what they call "High Season." Snowbirds from all over get tired of that cold, so they head here to warm up. The upside for the residents is that their tax money helps a lot, and also more things are available for entertainment since the potential audience has grown.

But then there is the traffic and the lack of parking spaces near to the store. It seems every snowbird has a handicapped sticker, so the locals have to fight for the spots. Snowbirds tend to drive too slow, sometimes way too slow, and they make strange lane changes, usually moving suddenly over to the fast lane so that they can drive really slowly. They have even been known to stop for green lights. And don't even bother to go to Costco, where evolutionary scientists are studying the quick decline of manners in the human species.

But, there is one snowbird we miss already. Word has reached us that Oliver is now back home, safe and sound. Memories of his grand pool event are just that- memories. Thanks for the memories, Oliver. Will there be more?

• Members

I think I know that you live in PSP. What do you do in the summer time? Go to the nearby mountains a lot? Stay indoors most of the day? What? Just curious.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest Oliver
...But, there is one snowbird we miss already. Word has reached us that Oliver is now back home, safe and sound. Memories of his grand pool event are just that- memories. Thanks for the memories, Oliver. Will there be more?

Well one hopes so! At least I have the same condo reserved for next year. Only the Shadow knows for sure!:rolleyes:

Guest hitoallusa

Lucky you are glad that I'm not driving in PS. ^_^ Olive glad that you made a safe trip. Many more years for you to come to PS.

Snowbirds tend to drive too slow, sometimes way too slow, and they make strange lane changes, usually moving suddenly over to the fast lane so that they can drive really slowly. They have even been known to stop for green lights. And don't even bother to go to Costco, where evolutionary scientists are studying the quick decline of manners in the human species.

I have been to Palm Springs several times and always really enjoy my time there.

I have never been there in the heat of summer so I'd like to try that sometime as well.

I hope our board residents from PS have an enjoyable summer!

• Members

Last year was the first year that we did not escape the desert heat for a couple of weeks. We suffered it out, staying inside during the worst of the day. At the end of the summer, we thought "that wasn't so bad." This after 4 years of escaping to Rio for a couple of weeks.

But now, with summer upon us again, I don't look forward to the heat. No doubt several trips to San Diego will be in order for relief. But, if Oz can't afford to go to Brazil, do you think I can? ^_^

Maybe we should set up a Palm Springs Weekend in August. Hotels will be cheap!

Guest CharliePS

Funny, whenever I tell people I live in Palm Springs, the first thing they always ask is, "What do you do in the summer?" (when I said I lived in New York, no one ever asked what I did in the winter). Maybe it's just old age, but I really don't feel the heat that badly. I just returned from Ireland, where the natives kept commenting on how warm it was, while I was wearing three layers of clothes and a ski cap. In PS, one adjusts one's schedule to do things early in the morning and after sunset from June to September, and enjoys the ease of access to restaurants, stores and services when the visitors and snowbirds are gone. The heat raises the temperature of our pool water, which is too cold to get into before late April (we're too cheap to heat the water). Sometimes, by mid-August, the triple digit temperatures get tiresome, but it is so easy to escape them by driving a few hours to the beaches or up into the surrounding mountains; one can even take the aerial tram to the top of Mt. San Jacinto, and in 20 minutes one is at 8500 feet, where the temperature is thirty degrees cooler. The only real problem is when there is a power outage, and the a/c stops working. That's the only time I wish I lived elsewhere.

• Members

Thanks for the replies, Lucky and CharliePS. I certainly did not intend for my question to sound disparaging. I only wanted information from someone who lived there. I live in Memphis, TN and we have heat + humidity, so, I am not one to point fingers at anyone else. ^_^

Before air-conditioning, we were hopeless during certain times of the year. No sleep, sitting in the window until 3 AM, sheets soaked with sweat, etc. Not fun and not all that fondly remembered, either. ^_^ Not the good old days, at all.

From visiting my sister who lives in FL I understand completely about the snow birds. Visiting her is completely different depending upon what time of year.

I know what folks in NYC do in the winter because I know a lot of people who live there now. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1