TotallyOz

Teacher's sex ad on Craigslist grounds for firing

Read the article and then what do you think? Do you think that this is acceptable? Are the private lives of teachers important to their profession?

Article:

A state appeals court has upheld the dismissal of a San Diego schoolteacher who was fired for posting a sexually explicit ad and photos in the "men seeking men" section of Craigslist.

Frank Lampedusa's firing had been overruled by a state commission that said the ad was unrelated to his ability to teach middle-school students. But the appeals court disagreed, saying Lampedusa's conduct showed he was unfit to teach and "serve as a role model" for his students.

A teacher's private life can constitute grounds for dismissal if it demonstrates "indecency and moral indifference," said the Fourth District Court of Appeal in San Diego. The court issued the 3-0 ruling last month and published it Tuesday as a statewide precedent for future cases.

Lampedusa, 47, has worked for the San Diego district since 1999 and at Farb Middle School since 2004, where he has also handled disciplinary cases as the school's dean of students. He has continued to teach while the district appealed his case.

The court said an anonymous caller who described himself as the father of a Farb student told a police dispatcher in June 2008 about Lampedusa's ad on Craigslist.

It solicited oral and anal sex, in graphic terms, and included photos of Lampedusa's face and private parts, the court said. The ad did not contain his name or contact information, which could be obtained only through Craigslist. Users of the Website were required to state that they were at least 18.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/05/05/BAD61JC06S.DTL#ixzz1LZTpIqUr

If a female teacher put up an add on Match.com looking for a dude, she wouldn't get fired for it, even though the purpose of doing so would be for her to eventually get cock.

There really isn't much a difference, except she'd make the dude pay for a few dinners before she offered him her ass.

To quote Boy George: "Society has decided that straight people make love and gay people fuck."

Guest hitoallusa

Unless he used a school computer to post his ad.. Why is he getting fired for being sexually active??? If that's the case I don't think none of us will be keeping our job. ^_^ I can't believe this can also happen in California. Is the father mention here fit to raise his child if he hangs around on the MSM page on craiglist? Unless the teacher did solicit minors I don't see any point of him getting fired for it.

Guest zipperzone

He was probably ill-advised to be so specific in his ad. However as it does not appear he was attempting to pay for sex or sell his favours for money, I see no crime. Foolish perhaps, but not criminal. Have they never heard that homosexuality is not illegal in California?

This whole thing harks back to a comment in an earlier post about the recognition of civil unions in Brazil and how backward Americans are. And its al because of the Religious Reich - and we all know how clean their hands are, don't we Mr Haggard?

• Members

I wonder how the kid who found the ad explained to his friends what he was doing looking at Craigslist M4M personals?

"The court said an anonymous caller who described himself as the father of a Farb student told a police dispatcher in June 2008 about Lampedusa's ad on Craigslist."

Dad, apparently closeted and conflicted, did the deed.

Guest hitoallusa

I would have done the same thing.. If I had stayed closeted...

Dad, apparently closeted and conflicted, did the deed.