TotallyOz

Word of the Week: purlieu

Here is the word for this week:

purlieu \PUR-loo\, noun:

1. A place where one may range at large; confines or bounds.

2. A person's haunt or resort.

3. An outlying district or region, as of a town or city.

4. A piece of land on the edge of a forest, originally land that, after having been included in a royal forest, was restored to private ownership, though still subject, in some respects, to the operation of the forest laws.

"A purlieu is an area at the edge of a royal forest that used to be under forest law but isn't any more."

-- Edward Rutherfurd, The Forest

"She thought of the strange operation of a simple-minded man's ruling passion, that it should have led Jude, who loved her and the children so tenderly, to place them here in this depressing purlieu."

-- Thomas Hardy, Jude the Obscure: Volume 1896, Part 1

Purlieu is an alteration (simulating French lieu, "place") of earlier parlewe, "of a forest."

Guest hitoallusa

Lookin that's such a witty poem~~~ Wanna meet you someday.. ^_^

MER has become my purlieu,

As there's always a fun thread or deux.

But is it très gay

If I post en français

When I'm here in my favorite milieu? 0070.gif

Guest hitoallusa

That's a very witty poem. Lookin I want to meet you sometime. This place became my favorite purlieu since there is less people and quiet. I find my peace here. Although whether being quiet is a good thing but I can breathe and comfortable here.

MER has become my purlieu,

As there's always a fun thread or deux.

But is it très gay

If I post en français

When I'm here in my favorite milieu? 0070.gif

Guest Erostotle

I am not ure what the point of this thread is. Does the OP really think we will start using this word in our conversations? I know that I won't, and consider the thread a waste of internet space. Thankfully that space seems unlimited.

I am not ure what the point of this thread is. Does the OP really think we will start using this word in our conversations? I know that I won't, and consider the thread a waste of internet space. Thankfully that space seems unlimited.

LOL I am not sure who you are and why you are so critical of things. ^_^ hummm. Are you really a new poster? I doubt it! ^_^

Guest hitoallusa

Yes that space is unlimited and it can use for something good. I think it was a good vocabulary lesson for me and I appreciate OZ for posting it. You never know you might encounter the word sometime in our life.