TotallyOz

Breaking News: Osama Bin Laden is Dead

Guest lurkerspeaks

While this is great news to Americans and the world in general, it also makes me very nervous about the threat of retaliation.

Guest hitoallusa

It's sad a single person can bring so much sadness and suffering into the world. The world is changing and Osama is one of those people who can't accept that change. I hope this helps to bring Al quaeda down completely.

Guest hitoallusa

Now that is taken care of.. then we should not kill or destroy but bring down the enemies within. Big oil companies and their interest groups. They will be brought down but I wonder the whole country has to brought down with them in order to do that. One way or another a new form of government will be formed and reforms will be made. I just hope that it is a good one for our next generation.

I think Fox40News made a mistake here. Look closely.

• Members

CNN and NYTimes is reporting that Bin Laden is dead!

Such good News and further great news that none of our US Special Forces troops were hurt or killed even though one of the Helicopters used in the mission crashed. Now we all must brace ourselves for a possible retaliation.

Unbelievable that Bin Laden was hiding in a mansion compound close to the Pakistan Capital.

Guest zipperzone

Knowing Fox news, it may have been an intentional "mistake"

May 1, 2011

The U.S. Department of State alerts U.S. citizens traveling and residing abroad to the enhanced potential for anti-American violence given recent counter-terrorism activity in Pakistan. Given the uncertainty and volatility of the current situation, U.S. citizens in areas where recent events could cause anti-American violence are strongly urged to limit their travel outside of their homes and hotels and avoid mass gatherings and demonstrations. U.S. citizens should stay current with media coverage of local events and be aware of their surroundings at all times. This Travel Alert expires August 1, 2011.

U.S. Embassy operations in affected areas will continue to the extent possible under the constraints of any evolving security situation. U.S. government facilities worldwide remain at a heightened state of alert. These facilities may temporarily close or periodically suspend public services to assess their security posture. In those instances, U.S. Embassies and Consulates will make every effort to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens. U.S. citizens abroad are urged to monitor the local news and maintain contact with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Media coverage of local events may cause family and friends to become concerned for their loved ones traveling and residing abroad. We urge U.S. citizens to keep in regular contact with family and friends. U.S. citizens living or traveling abroad are encouraged to enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), to receive the latest travel updates and information and to obtain updated information on travel and security issues. U.S. citizens without Internet access may register directly with the appropriate U.S. Embassy or Consulate. By enrolling, U.S. citizens make it easier for the U.S. Embassy or Consulate to contact them in case of emergency.

Travel information is also available at www.travel.state.gov. Up-to-date information on security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or, for callers outside the United States and Canada, a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444.

For information on “What the Department of State Can and Can’t Do in a Crisis,” please visit the Bureau of Consular Affairs’ website at www.travel.state.gov. For further information on specific countries, U.S. citizens should consult the Country Specific Information pages, Travel Alerts, and Travel Warnings at www.travel.state.gov as well as the Worldwide Caution. Follow us on Twitter and the Bureau of Consular Affairs’ page on Facebook as well.

Guest BeachBoy

I saw the clip of the Fox reporter who said, "President Obama is just moments away from making the announcement that President Obama is dead." The anchorwoman next to him did a double take.

Guest BeachBoy

While this is great news to Americans and the world in general, it also makes me very nervous about the threat of retaliation.

There was a State Dept alert that went out, and they're banning travel to Pakistan too.

Guest BeachBoy

Some interesting things:

- This happened on the 8th anniversary of the "Mission Accomplished" speech by Bush.

- It was also the anniversary of the announcement of Hitler's death.

• Members

While watching one of the cable news network's coverage of Bin Laden's death today I heard one of the best quotes on this. While asking New Yorker's on the street for their reaction on his death one guy said this:

"I am very Happy that today Bin Laden found out that there was NOT 40 Virgins waiting for him."

Great response!!!!

• Members

I was in NYC just 3 weeks after 9/11/01 when smoke was still rising from a huge hole in the ground, the stench of decay permeated as North as Central Park, and fear and somber filled the air. I was lucky enough to happen to be there on May 1, 2011 as well, when I could make my way to Ground Zero to watch the outpouring of emotion on that very site. Emotions ranged from dancing/cheering to open weeping. I know it's not over... and we have much work to do to make this world a better place for ourselves and future generations. But for right now, I feel like a full circle. And for now, it feels good.

Guest hitoallusa

I agree. Good job Obama!

I am glad they decided not to show the death photos of Bin Laden. Again, a tough call for Obama but the right one IMHO. I think he is on a roll this week (about time).

The problem is that the photo will be out within a week anyway. Several news organizations have already put in FOIA requests for it. Once a mission has been made public (which this one certainly has) then it is no longer consider classified and the government is not allowed to withhold "documentary evidence to support the results of the mission" which this photo certainly qualifies as.

The law was written during the Vietnam era so that the government couldn't claim we'd won battles we'd lost and then refuse to release images demonstrating that we lied about the battle.

Guest zipperzone

The problem is that the photo will be out within a week anyway. Several news organizations have already put in FOIA requests for it. Once a mission has been made public (which this one certainly has) then it is no longer consider classified and the government is not allowed to withhold "documentary evidence to support the results of the mission" which this photo certainly qualifies as.

The law was written during the Vietnam era so that the government couldn't claim we'd won battles we'd lost and then refuse to release images demonstrating that we lied about the battle.

If this happens I hope Obama stonewalls them and tells them to fuck off. Let them take it to the Supremes.

• Members

There is a lot about that mission that will remain classified. You can bet on it.

Guest hitoallusa

I agree. I think President Obama's legal team advised him well. Unless Obama is pressured to do it to prove Osama's death, it's not going to be released. I don't think it's necessary for him to do that. Anyways, I hope Al Qaeda falls and peace can be established in the Middle East.

There is a lot about that mission that will remain classified. You can bet on it.