TotallyOz

The Volkswagen Beetle Rides Again

• Members

quite stylish for a car originaly designed under Nazi Germany. Car was designed by VW to be a safe, low cost, modernistic approach to modern transportation. VW was contracted to design such a vehicle back in the late 30's by Adolph Hitler. Interesting history to this car. My family owned one in the 70's and even then we could easily do roadtrips on one tank of gas.

Guest zipperzone

I think the rear styling is much improved but from the front it looks rather undistinguished. Made in Mexico could be iffy. I hope they offer it in some more sophisticated colors rather that the flame red in the promotional pics.

post-123031-011584000 1303266765.jpg

Guest BeachBoy

I have no idea how to talk about cars, but the bottom half of it reminds me a lot of the new Mini Coopers - that wide squat stance.

Also, Oz, I agree with you about the camper van. I'd love to see an update of that. They'd sell like hotcakes.

• Members

I mustn't let my curmudgeon reputation lag,so, isn't the camper van more nostalgia than reality? It was under powered, not very well made, difficult to maintain but had a lot of "reverse" sex appeal.

The early cars were the same way; almost no heater, no air-conditioning, no auto transmission, easy to roll over and deadly when hit by something larger (almost any thing else).

The newer ones have been made in Mexico for quite some time now. I have no idea about their reliability or construction but they are very different cars from the original idea. They have the engine in the front vs. the rear and the "US" amenities expected, more or less. The rear now is a storage area that you can almost put two loaves of bread into. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1