TampaYankee

Gas-powered cars that get 40 mpg

• Members

Gas-powered cars that get 40 mpg

For non-electric, non-hybrid cars, 40 is the new 30 (mpg).

By Marco R. della Cava | Yahoo! Autos – Thu, Apr 14, 2011 6:10 PM EDT

To put an automotive spin on an old axiom, 40 really is the new 30—in miles per gallon. What’s particularly remarkable is that this impressive highway-mileage figure is increasingly being achieved not only by hybrids and other alt-fuel cars—which post their best numbers in the city—but by regular gasoline-powered vehicles with relatively low price tags.

A look at eleven current and forthcoming cars that deliver 40 mpg highway reveals MSRPs ranging from $12,490 (for a two-door Smart car) to around $20,000 (for a four-door Ford Focus SE). With global turmoil continuing to push pump prices higher, it’s clear manufacturers understand they can boost sales by focusing on a statistic that for most of the past few decades was a non-issue for the American automotive consumer. In fact, Ford recently started running ads that specifically boast about reaching the 40 mpg mark.

“Even five years ago, consumers wanted horsepower and driving dynamics, but now we have rising gas prices,” says Tracy Handler, senior analyst at IHS Automotive. “In the end, even more than CAFE standards (federally mandated fuel economy targets) gas prices really drive what companies are doing now, because of what concerns their customers. So they’ve set 40 (mpg) as a target, mainly for advertising reasons, and are achieving it with innovations ranging from air-flow louvers with sensors to simply cleaning up the underbody for better aerodynamics.”

Here’s a quick look at models that deliver 40 mpg on the highway:

See this link for the list with photos:

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/gas-powered-cars-that-get-40-mpg.html

• Members

According to the WSJ, the automakers believe that the fuel economy gene of their customer base kicks in right about $4/gal these days and are adjusting their product mix and advertising accordingly.

Guest zipperzone

I would love to drive a smaller car - and better gas milage would be an added incentive.

But unfortunately the car makers equate small, with cheap and they give you a product that is inferior in it's cabin finishing. Why don't they make cars that are small & efficient, but luxuriously appointed inside so as you don't think you're driving a bargain basement model?

I am in Texas right now and the majority of people here have lard asses (SUV's and Trucks). I can't imagine how much it cost to fund these babies.

One friend has a 67 gallon extension tank. He said he filled up everything last week and it was 300. Can you imagine, that is like 1 hour with a hottie!

Guest zipperzone

I am in Texas right now and the majority of people here have lard asses (SUV's and Trucks). I can't imagine how much it cost to fund these babies.

One friend has a 67 gallon extension tank. He said he filled up everything last week and it was 300. Can you imagine, that is like 1 hour with a hottie!

I know - it's insane.

I have friends that have a terrific 60 ft boat. They can't afford the fuel to take her out on the water so they spend weekends "on the boat" tied up to it's mooring slip, watching all the other boats in the marina come & go.

It's insane - they are insane.

• Members

They are waiting for the market to "come back" or fuel to come down in price. Good luck on either one. In the meantime, they have a house boat, so to speak.

Best regards,

RA1