Lucky

Are My Vast Holdings At Risk?

• Members

Today I received an email from Chase Bank, allowing that hackers had entered their system and made off with at least the email addresses of all of their customers:

"Chase is letting our customers know that we have been informed by Epsilon, a vendor we use to send e-mails, that an unauthorized person outside Epsilon accessed files that included e-mail addresses of some Chase customers. We have a team at Epsilon investigating and we are confident that the information that was retrieved included some Chase customer e-mail addresses, but did not include any customer account or financial information. Based on everything we know, your accounts and confidential information remain secure."

Really comforting, eh? Shortly afterward, I received a similar email from Citibank. They use the same vulnerable company. Yet they are much more confident that this breach did not go beyond email addresses:

Recently, Citi was notified of a system breach at Epsilon, a third-party vendor that provides marketing services to a number of companies, including Citi. The information obtained was limited to the customer name and email address of some credit card customers. No account information or other information was compromised and therefore there is no reason to re-issue a new card.

So why does Chase hedge their bets while Citibank is confident that it is only email addresses?

• Members

I'm starting to get similar notices. But, I already check my accounts daily and keep close tabs on my credit report.

While I'm not happy about the compromise of info, I'm not getting my shorts in a bunch over it.

Guest hitoallusa

Well I guess Chase just want to be cautious. I've noticed that Chase is very cautious about many things for many years. Lucky I don't think you have anything to worry about. When they say that hackers only have email addresses then I believe it is so.

Guest zipperzone

Well I guess Chase just want to be cautious. I've noticed that Chase is very cautious about many things for many years. Lucky I don't think you have anything to worry about. When they say that hackers only have email addresses then I believe it is so.

In these days of electronic banking I am beginning to think that the only place your money is safe is in a shoebox under your bed. In Lucky's case it would probably have to be a trunk - but then it wouldn't fit under the bed. Life is so complicated.

Guest NeedSome

In the last 48 hours I've gotten these emails from Chase, Hilton, Target, and Arhaus. I check my bank accounts and credit card statements regularly and have seen no suspicious activity.

Guest EXPAT

What you have to watch for now are fake emails from Chase (as an example). If they know you have an account at Chase, they can now send you a phishing email with a Chase logo etc. and maybe send you to a fake Chase website to get you to log in and then they get your login and password. So I would make sure you delete any email from any bank or credit card that asks you to go to the site. Just delete and go to the site like you normally would and don't use any links in any emails that they may send.

Guest lurkerspeaks

What you have to watch for now are fake emails from Chase (as an example). If they know you have an account at Chase, they can now send you a phishing email with a Chase logo etc. and maybe send you to a fake Chase website to get you to log in and then they get your login and password. So I would make sure you delete any email from any bank or credit card that asks you to go to the site. Just delete and go to the site like you normally would and don't use any links in any emails that they may send.

I have gotten several fake emails over the last couple of days, supposedly from Cox, my internet/cable company, all asking me to reply with my username and password or else my email account would be closed. I called Cox after the first one, and they confirmed that the emails are phishing scams.. Now I just automatically forward them to Cox's spam center...I have also received an email and identical snail mail letter wanting me to reply to each, from a person trying to "spread the word". It appears this breach of security is more widespread than it was first thought.. So, if you receive something unusual.. do NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, reply to it without first authenticating it...

Guest zipperzone

It is not only e-mail scams you have to be aware of. I had a phone call today and my call display showed it was from an "unknown name, unknown number". I usually don't even bother to answer such calls but I was expecting a call from a friend travelling in Germany who would be using a cell phone, so I did answer it in case it was him. It wasn't.

When I picked up the phone initially I heard the sound of a phone ringing - strange, I thought. Then a voice came on the line telling me he was from Shaw Cable - my internet provider - and he was phoning to help me fix my computer.

I told him my computer was not broken. He said that it was quite possible that I didn't yet know of the problem and asked me to sit in front of my computer and turn it on. His accent was so strong that I had trouble in understanding what he was saying. In the background I could hear what sounded like several other people talking. It sounded like a boiler shop operation. I told him I didn't believe he was from Shaw and not to call me again.

I'm sure if I had fallen for his line, I would have been prompted to click on a link and god only knows what mayhem could have ensued. The scary part is that I'm sure there are many people out there who would fall for such a scam.

My policy is that I give absolutely NO INFORMATION to any unsolicited phone call or e-mail. I wouldn't even tell them if it was raining.

• Members

Today a real letter, in the actual US Mail. The local hospital reports a computer stolen, which may have contained my financial information, not medical. They are offering one year free credit monitoring with Trans-Union. If I accept, I imagine that at the end of the year, Trans-Union will make it very hard for me to leave. What would you do?

Guest zipperzone

Today a real letter, in the actual US Mail. The local hospital reports a computer stolen, which may have contained my financial information, not medical. They are offering one year free credit monitoring with Trans-Union. If I accept, I imagine that at the end of the year, Trans-Union will make it very hard for me to leave. What would you do?

Hey - free is free - what do you have to loose? How hard can they make it for you to leave if you just tell them to take a hike?

Guest zipperzone

Does it rain a lot in CYVR? ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

A bit but it's not a problem. It makes everything nice & fresh - more of a drizzle, not the heavy pouring you get back east.

• Members

Lucky-

Sure, take the monitoring. Just make yourself a reminder to cancel if you do not wish to renew. Not always easy to do but I look for those little notes that say things like "automatic renewal" and the like. Some of those auto renewals will let you cancel two months after the renewal with the two months refunded. Better to do what you want at the appropriate time. I know you know all that.

Zip-

I know that the Canadian rain is pure and unalderated. It is wonderful for the flora and the fauna. However, I have been there when it rained just as hard as it does here in the Mid-South. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

Guest BeachBoy

I agree with zipperzone about keeping it in a box under the bed. Between the security risks and the nickel and diming of every transaction they rape you with, it's a bunch of bullshit.

• Members

I have to ask, what are we hiding under the bed? USD, gold coins or bullion, marketable securities, promissory notes, T-bonds or notes? If the USD is successfully attacked and there seem to be many making this very attempt, many or most of those "securities" will be worth a whole lot less than they are thought to be now.

A bank account full of "numbers" might be just that, full of numbers, not much of value.

We are going to see very bad inflation and that is the best forecast I can make. There are many much worse forecasts available.

This is bordering on the political rather than the economics, so I will stop now.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest BeachBoy

Well, I guess that is the question, then, isn't it. What to hide, exactly. What did the Dutch buy Manhattan for? That seemed to work out well! :whistle:

Guest zipperzone

I have to ask, what are we hiding under the bed? USD, gold coins or bullion, marketable securities, promissory notes, T-bonds or notes? If the USD is successfully attacked and there seem to be many making this very attempt, many or most of those "securities" will be worth a whole lot less than they are thought to be now.

I vote for gold - I really can't foresee that ever becoming worthless. 2nd choice would be diamonds and just think how pretty you could look at parties. ^_^

Guest lurkerspeaks

I vote for gold - I really can't foresee that ever becoming worthless. 2nd choice would be diamonds and just think how pretty you could look at parties. ^_^

Guest BeachBoy

"I'm wearing my vast holdings RIGHT NOW!"

Seriously though, with diamonds you get into the whole "blood diamond" thing, which is a slippery slope if you're needing enough of them.

• Members

Diamonds have been artificially supported much more so than gold. Both do have "intrinsic" value but gold seemingly more so than diamonds.

The real question is how far will a collapse go? If it goes far enough, then only the actual metal or diamonds in hand will be worth anything. Who among us can afford to have and hold very much of either? And, if things get that bad, with no "services", what difference does it make? Only those of us with children have a future beyond our normal life span.

Not trying to be dreary, but, these thoughts do occur to me. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

Guest BeachBoy

Diamonds have been artificially supported much more so than gold. Both do have "intrinsic" value but gold seemingly more so than diamonds.

The real question is how far will a collapse go? If it goes far enough, then only the actual metal or diamonds in hand will be worth anything. Who among us can afford to have and hold very much of either? And, if things get that bad, with no "services", what difference does it make? Only those of us with children have a future beyond our normal life span.

Not trying to be dreary, but, these thoughts do occur to me. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

On an apocalyptic front, I guess the best investment would be a water source. And matches.

• Members

My first phishing email from the email leak!

Online Banking Security

Due to multiple attempt error while trying to login in to your Online Account. We believed that someone other than you is trying to access your Account, For security reasons we have temporarily Flagged your Online Access and your access to online banking will be restricted if you fail to Verify and re-confirm your Online Banking details.

Verify your Bank of America online banking Access now to enjoy the benefits of online banking and to avoid fraudulent activities on your Account.

Resolving FraudResolvingFraudFootnotes

(And then there is a button for me to click to verify my account. I didn't click it!)

Guest zipperzone

(And then there is a button for me to click to verify my account. I didn't click it!)

It would be interesting to know how many people actually get suckered into such obvious scams.