Guest hitoallusa

Tiger Mom's Job is half done

Guest hitoallusa

I may sound horrible but I like a strict way of raising children and also requiring the best of them and always excellence. I see nothing wrong with a firm approach to raising children and wonder if the majority of America adhered to this philosophy if our school would be the cesspits they are.

Guest BeachBoy

I'm of two minds about Tiger Mom. One side of me thinks that everyone should mind their own business. The other side of me thinks her kids should be taken away from her. And another side of me (I'm 3D :thumbsup:) thinks that we need to interview those kids in about 10 years and see how they are and what they have to say about their mother.

Also, WTF is up with the father?

Guest BeachBoy

I may sound horrible but I like a strict way of raising children and also requiring the best of them and always excellence. I see nothing wrong with a firm approach to raising children and wonder if the majority of America adhered to this philosophy if our school would be the cesspits they are.

Wait a minute. There is a firm hand, and there is what this woman does. No friends at all? No free time? I can't believe I'm going to say this, but... I agree with David Brooks!

"Managing status rivalries, negotiating group dynamics, understanding social norms, navigating the distinction between self and group — these and other social tests impose cognitive demands that blow away any intense tutoring session or a class at Yale."

The girl got into Harvard and that's awesome (although she was legacy, so there's that). She also seems to be funny and bright. But while I applaud her objectivity and personal awareness in saying that she consciously chose to be an easy child to raise, I hope that she doesn't always choose that route.

(And I'm speaking from the point of view of someone who made that same cognitive choice, although my parents were NOTHING like Tiger Mom).

I just think there needs to be some time before her actions can be really "judged", for lack of a better word. Let's see what they BOTH do AFTER college is done, when they're in the real world for about 10 years or so, and then we'll talk.

Guest hitoallusa

I think it's good not to spare the rod. I have seen a couple of families like that and I wonder whether those kids are happy. Yes it's a very good idea to ask the same question after 10 years or so.

Guest zipperzone

I think it's good not to spare the rod. I have seen a couple of families like that and I wonder whether those kids are happy. Yes it's a very good idea to ask the same question after 10 years or so.

I have nothing against spanking a child - nothing against spanking an adult either but that's for another post.

I was only spanked twice by my father and the fear of getting a third one kept me in line for years.

Tiger Mom is an abusive bitch. At one point she made her eight daughter keep practicing a piano piece for six hours until she got in right - during that time she would not even let her go to the bathroom or have a drink of water. That is abuse.

Also not allowing your children to have friends is abusive as well - because it will lead to seriously socialization issues down the line.

Refusing them to participate or learn about the arts in any way shape or form is also pretty abusive.

Her methods are great for creating souless sad robot people, but awful for creating real well rounded human beings.