Guest BeachBoy

Suicide Watch?

Guest BeachBoy

From the New York Post today:

A hapless state information-technology worker who usually joined his office lottery pool took a pass last week -- only to learn that seven positive-thinking pals nailed a whopping $319 million Mega Millions jackpot, said a deli owner who knows the winners.

"The word is that when they were going around the office asking who wanted in on the pool, one guy said no, that he wasn't feeling lucky," said Jill Cook, who with husband Tom owns Cook's Deli in Albany, where the winners are lunchtime regulars.

"They asked him twice. They said, 'Are you sure?' and he said yeah, he was going to pass this time. I feel horrible for him," Jill said.

The number of players in the pool varied from week to week, she said, and the identity of the mystery loser -- who could have won a $16 million after-tax share under the lottery's lump-sum option -- was as elusive as those of the big winners, who sources say worked in IT for the state Homes and Community Renewal agency.

Cook said the geek squad came in for lunch daily -- but haven't been seen since beating the one-in-176-million odds in Friday's drawing. Customers who know the winners told her they weren't planning to return to their jobs -- except to pass along unfinished business to colleagues.

Guest BeachBoy

I always play the lottery when the winning amount is over 100 million. In this case, it was 300 million and I bought 5 tickets. As usual, nothing. Nada. ^_^ But, I wasn't feeling lucky that day either. ^_^

Yeah, if it's the big ones, I'm always in for at least one ticket. My Pop plays every day, even the daily draws, and he's always sure he's gonna win.

Guest zipperzone

You got to be in it to win it.

That said I do hope those guys pitch in and give him some money.

They got about 45 million each so if they each gave him one million, they wouldn't even miss it. Then again, why should they - he had his chance & blew it.

I wonder how that would work tax-wise. They would have to pay tax on their winnings, but would the guy who didn't win have to pay any because as far as he's concerned it would be a gift. Are gifts taxable in the US?

Guest BeachBoy

I'm sorry, but if they don't give him something, they're assholes. To me, it sounds like he may have been a bit short on the cash for the pool and didn't want to admit it.

Guest zipperzone

I'm sorry, but if they don't give him something, they're assholes. To me, it sounds like he may have been a bit short on the cash for the pool and didn't want to admit it.

I agree - and if they gave him a mil each, they wouldn't even miss it - or how about $500,000 each if they are feeling miserly. That would still give the poor guy 3 1/2 mil - not chump change.

But - perhaps there is another factor at work here. Maybe he was a real prick and nobody liked him. I could see that making a difference.

Guest FourAces

But, I wasn't feeling lucky that day either. ^_^

Isn't he a bit out of your age range? And does he even like it when you feel him?

:P

Guest zipperzone

Isn't he a bit out of your age range? And does he even like it when you feel him?

:P

I go by the motto "If it moves, fondle it".

Guest BeachBoy

I agree - and if they gave him a mil each, they wouldn't even miss it - or how about $500,000 each if they are feeling miserly. That would still give the poor guy 3 1/2 mil - not chump change.

But - perhaps there is another factor at work here. Maybe he was a real prick and nobody liked him. I could see that making a difference.

When you put it like that, I can think of some people I wouldn't give a DIME to.

Oh MAN, how sweet would that be. Like, if he was the office asshole, and he got shut out. Dilbert's Revenge.

Guest zipperzone

He's been interviewed by the New York media and is clearly a really nice guy.

He was broke that day and too proud to admit he didn't have the two bucks in his pocket.

That's really sad - if only he had borrowed it.......

Guest BeachBoy

He's been interviewed by the New York media and is clearly a really nice guy.

He was broke that day and too proud to admit he didn't have the two bucks in his pocket.

Apparently there's 5 of them that didnt' play and 7 that did, and one of the winners who they appointed as their spokesperson said it would be up to each individual winner whether or not they wanted to give them something.

I gotta say, I was really touched by those stories though. Not only the heartbreaking one about the guy who didn't have $2 - but one of the winners whose stove broke last week and so she's getting a new one, and another winner who is buying a dishwasher because she's never had one. I mean, how great is that.

Guest zipperzone

I gotta say, I was really touched by those stories though. Not only the heartbreaking one about the guy who didn't have $2 - but one of the winners whose stove broke last week and so she's getting a new one, and another winner who is buying a dishwasher because she's never had one. I mean, how great is that.

Hard to imagine - I mean getting a new stove? and buying the dishwasher she never had?

These people obviously didn't have very much affluence in their lives. Now they had buy almost anything they want and live in a house that they could only drive past previously. I wonder if it has really sunk in yet as to how blessed they are? Lucky, lucky people.

Guest BeachBoy

Hard to imagine - I mean getting a new stove? and buying the dishwasher she never had?

These people obviously didn't have very much affluence in their lives. Now they had buy almost anything they want and live in a house that they could only drive past previously. I wonder if it has really sunk in yet as to how blessed they are? Lucky, lucky people.

I read a story online about the lady who's in charge of holding the hands of UK lottery winners, and she said that one of the things she's most moved by is how much people DON'T realize how much money they really have, and what it means. She said she tells everyone, as a precaution, not to go out and spend a ton of money on something foolishly. And right after she won one of them called her in a panic because she bout 50-GBP earrings - something she'd never been able to buy. And she had to tell the winner, no, that's OK, the earrings are fine, you can afford them. The lady had won like 56 million GBP.