TampaYankee

Netflix Lowers Streaming Video Quality

• Members

TY, I can't find the link but this week I read somewhere I recall as a respectable source that Netflix alone accounts for nearly 30% of bandwidth usuage in the US during evening hours.

If that's anywhere near true, I can see where Comcast and the rest would be getting a bit grumpy about not charging them some kind of extra tariff.

• Members

TY, I can't find the link but this week I read somewhere I recall as a respectable source that Netflix alone accounts for nearly 30% of bandwidth usuage in the US during evening hours.

If that's anywhere near true, I can see where Comcast and the rest would be getting a bit grumpy about not charging them some kind of extra tariff.

Yeah, but the real point is that the Comcast customer will pay for it, not Netflix. Ultimately, we get back to metered service.

It is my understanding that the internet is a long way from full utilization with developments in the tube. If everyone vies for a fixed limited resource then metering might make some sense, might. But when the resource is essentially unlimited as it presently is there is no reason to charge beyond the cost of bringing the pipeline to your door. Especiall since Netflix or other providers are providing the content to be delivered.

Guest BeachBoy

This is like the whole Net Neutrality argument, right? Greedy bastards (Comcast) wanting a bigger piece of the pie. They are such supreme rip-offs.

• Members

This is like the whole Net Neutrality argument, right? Greedy bastards (Comcast) wanting a bigger piece of the pie.

It's called Capitolism and is the American Way. Have you ever heard of the Robber Barrons? Do a Google Search. Today's GOP would give them tax breaks and free them from Teddy Roosevelt's undue regulations, i.e. Trust Busting of JP Morgan, John D Rockefellar, James Duke etc. The fact that most companys are publicly owned, but not publicly controlled, does little to change the effects of big business on unhealthy business and labor practices.

Guest BeachBoy

It's called Capitolism and is the American Way. Have you ever heard of the Robber Barrons? Do a Google Search. Today's GOP would give them tax breaks and free them from Teddy Roosevelt's undue regulations, i.e. Trust Busting of JP Morgan, John D Rockefellar, James Duke etc. The fact that most companys are publicly owned, but not publicly controlled, does little to change the effects of big business on unhealthy business and labor practices.

No, I know... it's just the Internet angle that drives me insane. It's such an equalizer, and the whole "I'll pay more for my site to show up and pay yours to load slow" just cheapens it.