BiBottomBoy

Mad Men

Guest zipperzone

AMC says they will only renew Mad Men if the show gets rid of two regular characters.

Which ones do you think they should axe?

I think Betty and Lane but am willing to hear other suggestions.

God, I hate Betty with the fire of a thousand burning STDs.

It's hard to understand the stupidity of AMC. They have one of the top rated shows on TV (perhaps THE top rated) and here they are squabbling over axing two characters. I just read elsewhere that they don't expect it to return in 2011 at all and it will be 2012 before we see it again :excl: :excl: :excl:

So.... they are prepared ti forgo one whole year's advertising revenue? DAH

Evidently they want 3 thing. 2 characters axed, 2 min less show per episode so as more ad time can be sold (as if we don't have enough already) and their ability to have paid for product placements in the show. I have nothing against product placements but that would only work if the products being placed were also available i the 1960s, otherwise the integrity of the show's accuracy would be spoiled.

I understand your feelings towards Betty. She grates on me too but that's what she is supposed to do and I think cutting her would make the show weaker.

Obviously AMC has never heard the expression....."if it aint broke, don't fix it". :frantics: :frantics: :frantics:

Guest EXPAT

I'm assuming when you say "top rated" you mean top reviews. Because it is not getting very good ratings (viewership) which is the issue of reducing the cast and adding product placement to help defer some of the costs.

Guest zipperzone

I'm assuming when you say "top rated" you mean top reviews. Because it is not getting very good ratings (viewership) which is the issue of reducing the cast and adding product placement to help defer some of the costs.

Yes that's what i mean. I think the problem is that it's TOO good to appeal to the masses who would much prefer to watch mindless epics like CSI Miami which rely on blood, guts & gore splashed against vivid backdrops and sound tracks that are so loud you can't hear the dialogue. :frantics: :frantics: :frantics:

Guest zipperzone

That drives me almost as crazy as darkly lit scenes where you can hardly make out what's happening.

I guess we both need hearing aids and glasses. I tried an ear trumpet but it didn't help :frantics:

Guest zipperzone

When a movie seems too dark it's almost always because cheap ass theaters are using lower watt bulbs in the projectors.

How does this explain the same problem when watching High Def TV?

I had better head for bead - sleeping pills have kicked in and I have to use spellcheck on every 2nd word :frantics: :frantics:

Due to various transfer changes during encoding processes and the fact that many modern HDTVs contain "power saving" auto systems, you generally should use the menu screen on any DVD or Blu-Ray to adjust the brightness on your television for that specific film.

The brightness control on HDTV - due to many factors - is far less standard than on traditional analog TVs.

You'll have a particular problem with HDTVs if you have not set their internal clock correctly because many of them make the picture darker if they think it is daylight and brighter if they think it is night, because they assume you'll need it to be brighter if your room has more light in it.

Some of them don't do this by timer but by a light sensor so if you have a lamp near your HDTV it can cause it to broadcast at the wrong brightness level unless you go into the menu and adjust it.

Guest zipperzone

I recently upgraded (at least that's what I thought I was doing) to a Sony 40" Bravia flat screen, a blue-ray player, a Samsung surround sound sound bar, and a universal remote so as all the thingys could be controlled by just one remote.

Dumbest move I ever made. It has led to so much frustration that I only watch 1/10th as much TV as before. I have always known I was a relativly low-tech type - not having a 4 year old nephew to help me out - but this is ridiculous. I cannot begin to list all the problems these new-fangled gagets have caused me. I think I should apply to MIT for some type of degree, electronics?, computer science?, or who knows what.

What ever happened to the good old days when all you had to do to watch TV was to turn it on and select a channel with your remote. All the options available now are largely, IMO, a chance for the TV manufacturers and networks to show off how clever they are. They certainly have not enhanced my viewing pleasure :frantics: :frantics: :frantics:

Guest BeachBoy

To the original point (because y'all got way too technical all of a sudden) I think it's ridiculous they wouldn't pony up the money. First of all, how fucking meta is it going to be to watch a character leave or die off, knowing that it was becuase of this crap?

Also, is anyone else really, really tired of hearing these people cry poverty? It reminds me of the music industry crying poverty, and then lo and behold they make more and more money every year while the quality of their output plummets.

HI I AM A CRANKYPANTS.

Guest zipperzone

HI I AM A CRANKYPANTS

I don't call that being cranky. We all have a right to be pissed off with many of the things we are asked to accept these days. Too many people go with the flow and never bitch. Me? I'll bitch every time :frantics: :frantics: :frantics:

Guest BeachBoy

@zipperzone, Thanks - I just feel like my Pop sometimes when I go off like that. GET OFF MY LAWN YOU CRAZY CORPORATIONS!

@BiBottomBoy, Where I live, you can't get ANY reception unless you have cable. And AMC comes on the cable package. So everybody watches it on AMC, or at least DVRs it from AMC.