BiBottomBoy

London Riots

• Members

Nah, if the States was going to riot it would have happened in Wisconsin.

As long as the people have Budweiser and American Idol they'll never riot.

LOL, the last serious riot in Wisconsin was when the Madison cops tried to close down the annual off campus Spring street beer party. UW students were fighting the cops, flipping police cruisers, starting fires, the works. :P

Guest zipperzone

I have real concerns about the possibility of riots erupting during the Royal Weeding at the end of April.

Considering the climate surrounding the cost cutting currently underway by the British government and the horrendous cost of the wedding (even although a part of it will be paid for by the Royal Family) IMO it is a powder key looking for a match.

I will be very surprised if the thugs initiating these demonstration, overlook a chance to be seen by millions of TV viewers.

But i guess when you're a Royal, eloping is not an option.

Guest zipperzone

I think you can still behead people in the UK for disrupting a royal wedding.

That would make for a spectacular reality show with Dame Edna lowering the sword :cheer:

• Members

It is conceivable that it could happen here. The Conservatives are using the debt and deficit 'crisis' to implement ideological cuts in the name of deficit reduction. This couldn't be more obvious to anyone who follows the political scene. However, there are significant segments of the population that are strongly commited and dependent on some of those programs and institutions that Conservatives wish to weaken or destroy: labor unions, contraception and abortion rights, gay rights, social security, medicare, medicaid... to name the obvious. Some are even trying to roll back child labor laws for god's sake. If they make serious inroads into effecting this agenda I do see the potential for large demonstrations and possibly isolated cases of violence.

There is no question that debt and deficit are concerns that must be addressed. However, if it becomes a question of ideological agenda over thoughtful spending reallocation based on reforms and reogranization then I see a troubled road ahead.

If the rounded up people who tried to disrupt the royal wedding and then several weeks later held a pay-per-view even where people could watch them being beheaded they might make enough money to close the budget gap.

Imagine how many people would pay good money to see teenage hooligans on the chopping block.

Guest BeachBoy

I have real concerns about the possibility of riots erupting during the Royal Weeding at the end of April.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw those pictures. And the one from earlier, with Charles and Camilla in the car. It's either going to be rioters disrupting, or a full-on police state. Neither of which sounds appealing, especially as they're still trying to spiff up their image for the 2012 Olympics.

Guest BeachBoy

"When there's no future

How can there be sin

We're the flowers in the dustbin

We're the poison in your human machine

We're the future, your future

God save the queen

We mean it man

We love our queen

God saves"

John Lydon - "God Save The Queen"

Haha, pretty apt.