TownsendPLocke

Samuel Steward-pioneer and horndog

• Members

I am reading/enjoying Justin Spring's book about Samuel Steward and am fascinated by his history.

Pretty boy who was a sadist/Professor/friend to Gertrude Stein and her circle/left academia to become a tatoo artist/ and then wrote erotic stories under the pen name of Phil Andros

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/26/books/26secret.html

Highly recommend this book. I bought a new copy on ABEbooks.com for $15 including shipping

Guest hitoallusa

Thanks I will definitely check this one out. I might order it from my local book store. I hope southern ladies there don't give me a funny face.

Guest FourAces

I just checked out a short clip at the link above and it looks like he was a fascinating person. I might dive in and get the digital edition to read as well.

Guest BeachBoy

I just checked out a short clip at the link above and it looks like he was a fascinating person. I might dive in and get the digital edition to read as well.

Digital readers unite! It's changed my reading habits - and my reading list. (I feel more comfortable reading some books in public now that I don't have to show/hide the cover)

• Members

just bought the companion book to this. It contains items that were in Stewards collection of erotica and also many of his personal Polaroids.

It was VERY expensive($150)but I think it will be rare and will be worth quite a bit in a few years when I sell my collection of erotica :devil:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0615382991/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0374281343&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=02J2K2GFVYQAFAR87P06

Guest Allessio77

I have also read this book, and for anyone who lived prior to 1960, the difference in the self image of homosexual men from today's gay or queer men is incredible. We have come a long way in a short time, and it is in part due to these early pioneers like Samuel Stewart.

Guest CharliePS

I also just finished reading "Secret Historian," which I enjoyed very much. I emailed Justin Spring, the author, to inform him of a small factual error about the publication of one of Steward's stories, and was amazed to receive a gracious reply only hours later, thanking me and assuring me the correction would appear in a second edition. He also informed me that a paperback edition is already in the works. He invited me to a conference on Steward that will be held in Columbus next May, which I believe any interested party will be able to attend.