TotallyOz

85 countries sign UN gay rights resolution

More than 80 countries have signed a UN gay rights resolution to end homophobic violence and laws against gay sex.

The resolution was presented at the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva today.

It calls on states to “take steps to end acts of violence, criminal sanctions and related human rights violations committed against individuals because of their sexual orientation or gender identity.”

US secretary of state Hillary Clinton and the Obama administration released statements praising the resolution and calling on the UN to do more to tackle homophobia around the world.

Ms Clinton said: “Today, 85 countries from every region of the world joined together in a historic moment to state clearly that human rights apply to everyone, no matter who they are or whom they love.

“Countries around the world participated, including many that had never supported such efforts. And we hope that even more countries will step up.”

She added that the resolution was “an example of America’s commitment to human rights through dialogue, open discussion and frank conversation with countries we don’t always agree with on every issue”.

The White House said: “The president is proud of the work we have done to build international consensus on this critical issue and is committed to continuing our determined efforts to advance the human rights of all people.”

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2011/03/23/85-countries-sign-un-gay-rights-resolution/

I wonder if we had a petition in the USA, how many Governors would sign it?

Guest BeachBoy

Hey guys, first time poster. Looks like you're the big kahunas, so I wanted to introduce myself. And I wanted this to be my first post, to say that I'm glad to be alive to see something like this happen. And Oz - I'm inclined to agree with you - imagine the shitstorm from the right. They must be seething right now.

• Members

Hey guys, first time poster. Looks like you're the big kahunas, so I wanted to introduce myself. And I wanted this to be my first post, to say that I'm glad to be alive to see something like this happen. And Oz - I'm inclined to agree with you - imagine the shitstorm from the right. They must be seething right now.

Welcome to our forums. Please make yourself at home and jump in anytime. I like your moniker. Always wanted to be one but even though I grew up within forty minutes of the beach I only made on occasional weekends.

• Members

Looks like you're the big kahunas, so I wanted to introduce myself.

Well, you certainly sniffed out our biggest pair of kahunas to introduce yourself to, so you're doing pretty well right out of the gate. :thumbsup:

Kick off your shoes & make yourself at home. If you have half the fun I've had posting and visiting with the guys who hang out here, you'll count your time well spent.

Guest BeachBoy

Welcome to our forums. Please make yourself at home and jump in anytime. I like your moniker. Always wanted to be one but even though I grew up within forty minutes of the beach I only made on occasional weekends.

Thanks. You should give it a try sometime, it really is the life!

Guest BeachBoy

Well, you certainly sniffed out our biggest pair of kahunas to introduce yourself to, so you're doing pretty well right out of the gate. :thumbsup:

Kick off your shoes & make yourself at home. If you have half the fun I've had posting and visiting with the guys who hang out here, you'll count your time well spent.

Hey, I do my research! :P

I'm looking forward to it, you seem like a cool bunch of guys.