Guest FourAces

Would You Take Someones Reservation?

Guest FourAces

A few years back I was a Platinum member in Marriott's Reward Program. One of the perks was if a hotel had been booked and you wanted a room you could override someone else who had a reservation.

About the same time frame when I had moved from Texas to Florida I ran into this situation. I had been driving about 12 hours was extremely tired and found a Holiday Inn Express and Courtyard off the freeway. The Courtyard was fully booked so I called over to the Holiday Inn Express which was also booked.

I asked the guy at the Courtyard desk if I had an options at all. He asked if I had a Rewards Card ... I gave him the number and he noticed my status. He explained the bump a person with a reservation option to me. It was pretty simple I could take their reservation and they would be left without a room.

I thought for a few minutes and decided to .... What would you have done? I'll let you all know what I did in a few days.

I thought for a few minutes and decided to .... What would you have done? I'll let you all know what I did in a few days.

Absolutely. I would have bumped for the reservation. I know that sounds shitty, but I spent over 60 nights a year in 3 different chain hotels programs. I rarely use the perks but when I need them, I expect them to be there for me. Every hotel has vacant rooms they don't advertise. Most likely, the person bumped would still get a room. If they paid for it and didn't get it, well, then they have recourse. I realize that my answer may not be the popular one but like you, I stay top tier with Marriott. I have easily spent over 700 nights with them in the last 6 years. Do I deserve a little special treatment at times? Yes.

• Members

The reason there is such a 'reward' is because hotels often have large numbers of reservations that are cancelled at the last minute or simply never show at all, so chances are you're not likely to be 'bumping' anyone at all.

If it's late, I'm in a strange city with few/no other options and they offer, then yes I'd take the offer.

Alan

• Members

One day I flew into Bangor, ME after a very long day flying from Europe via Iceland and Canada. The weather was very poor. They only "let" me in because they knew I had come from such a long distance. The airliners were not getting in. After all that I found it was Canadian Thanksgiving and BGR was full of tourists. Not a room to be had.

DL airlines was the main larger airline that served BGR at the time and I knew they stayed at the HI. I called and asked if they had any rooms. They said no. I then asked if they had any rooms reserved for DL. They said yes. I said they will not be using them tonight and please give me one. If you don't believe me, call the station manager and ask him. (I had just talked to him at the airport.)

Anyway, I got a room. The next day at breakfast I saw another DL crew who had been there for 3 days. They were out of clean clothes and anxious to get out of BGR, which I think they did later that day.

Just a variation on the statement, there are always rooms somewhere, somehow.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

In a skinny moment and without regret.

These elite"forces" as they are called are rarely last minute-most require a 24-48 hour window but exceptions are made for very good customers.

it sucks for the priceliner/package tourist/Kettle but loyal customers should be served first.

BTW- these "forces"are usually available only at rack rate only-so it is not a cheap option

Guest FourAces

I don't feel so bad now lol. Looking over your replies I guess what I did was not so terrible. I was so tired after driving so long and kind of the middle of nowhere and when I found out I had that option I took it.

The only difference between what you all noted and I ALMOST did was I was about to leave the cost of the room I think it was like $150. for the person who I knocked out. But then realized I would never know if they received the cash or if I simply gave the desk clerk a huge tip :P

• Members

For over 10 years I traveled alot and mostly stayed with Marriott properties. I acheived Platinum Elite LIFETIME because I stayed at their hotels more some years than I sleep in my own bed. 2 years I had over 200 nights each year with them.

I mention that because I had a few overbooked or sellout situations occur. I got into Indianapolis late one night and they had given my room away. After some frantic calls, some big event was in town, they got me a room on a close-by college campus (I kid you not), got a van to take me there and comped my hotel bill. They had the van to return me the next morning to the Marriott to finish my stay at the hotel. Another time I got stuck in Detroit when weather caused me to miss a connection. A Marriott close to the airport picked me up and even though they had no rooms left, they put up a bed in a conference room that would seat at least 100 people. No TV, it was late anyway, but luckily the room did have an attached bathroom with a shower. It was a weird feeling waking up the next morning in that room. I often thought it would have been funny if I could have had sex in that room that night. :lol:

I was never asked to bump another guest but I think they just did not ask. They did ask me if I wanted to bump someone from a room once because they did not have my preferred room type and I thought that was a bit much to move someone and they clean the room. I think they discounted my room that night.

• Members

Speaking of Marriott Elites...

It is VERY expensive for a Marriott property to"walk" an elite member to another hotel.This is from their website/

"The Ultimate Reservation Guarantee: To be eligible, Member's Rewards Program Membership Number and a valid credit card number must be included with the reservation. If hotel is unable to honor the reservation, it will pay for comparable accommodations nearby for the Elite Member that night, and compensate the Member for the inconvenience. Compensation varies by lodging brand, as specified below:

At JW Marriott Hotels & Resorts, EDITION Hotels, Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels, Marriott Hotels & Resorts, Marriott Conference Centers, and Marriott Vacation Club: Alternative accommodations, plus $200 USD and 2 free room certificates.

At Courtyard by Marriott, Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott, SpringHill Suites by Marriott, Residence Inn by Marriott, and TownePlace Suites by Marriott: Alternative accommodations, plus $100 USD. (Platinum Elite Members also receive 2 free room certificates.)"

So if an elite gets "walked" because a property is oversold he gets(in the case of a full service property)Accomadations at another hotel,$200 cash and 2 nights at ANY MI property in the world!

I pray to be walked from a MI property-but it has never happened :console: