Lucky

Straighten Up For Broadway

• Members

The Broadway musical Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, ain't what it used to be. The show, now in previews, has had several stops before New York, and there can be no doubt that the show has been tamed a bit for New York audiences. The New York Times takes you through the history of the show, pointing out the things deemed not suitable for the Americans:

A Tamer Priscilla

• Members

Slightly off topic, but I puzzled over this paragraph from the article:

"But this is also an era when Broadway productions with gay themes are packaged as family shows, so much so that the casual observer might not have realized that the main characters in the... current revival of La Cage aux Folles were gay lovers."

For the life of me I can not figure out how one could stage "La Cage" such that anyone not passed out drunk could fail to realize that Kelsey Grammer and Douglas Hodge were playing gay lovers. <_<

lescage480.jpg

Which casual observation leads me to wonder if the author of the Times article is grinding an axe and, just maybe, mis-representing the production of "Priscilla" also.

Guest zipperzone

They decided to prop up that snorebore from Canada

I'm surprised that so many people don't like her. I'm not wild about her but that's mostly because I don't relate to the stuff she sings. I think she does have a great voice as was evidenced when she sang Charlie Chaplin's "Smile" at this years Oscars.

I would love to hear her do an album of old jazzy, smokey, standards much like what Rod Stewart has been so successful with. I'd buy that.

Somebody must like her - look at the $$$ she makes. :excl: :excl: :excl: