kjun12

Thailand: a great place to visit

• Members

For all of you who have never been to Thailand: You can’t imagine what you are missing. On most Gay discussion boards all that is mentioned is that it is a sex capitol. While this is true, there are many other reasons to visit here.

I’ve been living in Thailand, specifically Bangkok, for four years. During that time I have not yet learned to speak Thai but I’m now back on track with an instructor and hopefully will become somewhat fluent and able to talk to more people. While many Thais speak at least some English, it is patently unfair to expect them to speak my language while I’m in their country. And, I want to speak to many, like my neighbors, who cannot speak English.

Their language will seem very strange to you and the written language is particularly mystifying. Not the characters we use. More like Sanskrit. Don’t worry, as a visitor, the population here will do their best to assist you in any way they can and you will not be lost.

I would be remiss if I would fail to tell you some things about the people themselves. Thais are very physically clean people, many of them bathing twice a day. This has a bit to do with the warm climate but also, because they think body odor is a big no, no. This is personified by the fact that when you get a Thai massage they will always wash your feet first. The foot is considered the most unclean part of the body because it is closest to the earth. You should never point at anything with your foot. This is particularly taboo. Being polite is considered a very important virtue and it is very bad karma to insult another person. As an example of this I will relate the following: All of us were sitting around drinking and one of the non Thais was getting pretty loose and began telling some very tall tales. No one called his hand on this in even the most light hearted way. If anyone had done this he would have been considered to be the bad egg of the group. Non-confrontational is the Thai way.

There are many other interesting things I would like to tell you and if anyone is interested I will follow this installment up with more things about visiting Thailand and what to expect. If any of you have specific questions, please ask and I will try to respond.

• Members

Please share more of your insights. Most of us have never been to Thailand and many of us will never make it. Seeing it through the eyes of visitors and residents is the closest that many will ever get.

Personally, I love to read about Thailand, Brazil, Columbia, Japan, Argentina, and other SE asian countries. I also love to read about the gay scenes in the Czech Republic, Germany and Amsterdam.

Guest zipperzone

Kajun: I'm curious as to why, 4 years ago, you decided to pull up stakes (I presume you're American) and move to Thailand? Was it the attraction to Asian men?

If I were to change my place of residence I think it would be to Europe where the culture is more familiar to me.

• Members

Zipper, Yes, I am from the US. Lived in Louisiana all of my life and swore I would one day move to a cooler place. Well, I moved but to an equally hot and humid environ. My initial thought in coming here to visit was for the sex. It is better than anywhere else I'd visited. Then I found a mate and moved here to be with him. I'm 66 and he's 43. He is a really great guy with a good job. Not some money boy bleeding me for what little I have.

As to my attraction to Asian men, I have always found them exotically attractive. As to sex with them,I can only address this issue as to Thai men. They are very much different than Westerners in their approach and beliefs in this area. Not as hung up. I have to go now because my taxi is here to pick me up to go to the dentist so I will write more later.

As to my attraction to Asian men, I have always found them exotically attractive.

First, thanks for a great post. Please keep them coming.

I am also attracted to Asian men but I love all guys. I have had friends visit me and say, "I'll come but I don't like Asian guys." Not one, seriously not one, has left Thailand without saying, "I was wrong. I love Thai's. I want to move here." This has happened to me over and over for the years. I think Thailand is fantastic and while I do stay here a great deal for sex, I agree with Khun Kjun that there is so much more to the city.

You'll never meet nicer people anywhere than in SE Asia. They take hospitality very seriously.

I love Thailand but I am not sure I could live there for a variety of reasons.

But I will also agree that there is much more to Thailand than sex. While that is certainly a lot of fun I like the culture almost as much. :-) There is tons of ancient history and old temples everywhere, great music, good food, good shopping, good travel infrastructure.