TotallyOz

Fallingwater: The most stunning house in America

• Members

What folks who admire Fallingwater rarely talk about is the the damn thing would have collapsed :bye: of its own weight shortly after construction had the contractor not convinced the owner (over Wright's strident objection) to double the steel support beams of the cantilevered concrete decks. Even with all that extra steel, Fallingwater has had serious structual issues requiring a lot of rehab over the years.

He was wonderful at drawings and elevations but Wright never did really grasp the engineering side of the business.

Guest zipperzone

I can recall ,as a child, be enthralled by this house and all it seemed to represent for the future of architecture.

It was my introduction to design which has remained a lifelong passion and for many years was my source of income.

For those interested in this house, there is an excellent 1986 book on the subject (still available), called, interestingly enough "Fallingwater" by Edgar Kaufmann Jr, the son of the original owner. Highly reommended :cheer:

The photographs are superb.

ISBN 0-89659-662-1

• Members

Interesting comment, caeron. I,too, was intriqued by the "idea" of this house from the first time I knew of it but I always wondered how anyone could "live" in it. However, I have never seen it in person, so I appreciate your comment.

Best regards.

RA1

Guest zipperzone

I concede the field, RA1. :P I can recognize when I'm out of my class.

Not so fast, fellows! Perhaps we should have a contest to see who is the most curmudgeonest :frantics:

Guest CharliePS

Of course, the Kaufmans didn't really "live" in the house, because it's out in the middle of nowhere. It was used mostly as a weekend retreat from Pittsburgh, when the weather was right. I visited it once, and thought it was great to see, but I wouldn't have wanted to spend longer than a weekend in it.

• Members

Just saw a program on the Farnsworth House, also built by a famous architect in a unique setting as a weekend retreat for a wealthy client.

166167468_d4f984144b.jpg

Mies van der Rohe told her that weekenders didn't need a closet, and only grudgingly let her have a custom-built wardrobe. The glass house was perfectly placed in the surrounding woods, but put her on display to frequent trespassers who wanted to see the house.

03wb.jpg

• Members

Farnsworth House was near where I used to live. The trials and tribulations of the flood damage over the last few years do rival the problems with Fallingwater. Ditto another Wright masterpiece.

The Ennis House of Los Angeles

post-122724-091878800 1299584057.jpg

• Members

Or two of my favorites from back home by Wright - The Dana-Thomas House Springfield Illinois and Oak Park's Unity Temple, where I was hired to help with a gay union performed by a Methodist minister about twenty years ago.

post-122724-043577300 1299584418.jpg

post-122724-090829800 1299584440.jpg

post-122724-059021300 1299584559.jpg

Guest zipperzone

Among these classics of modern architecture, I think my favorite is - The Glass House, Philip Johnson, Architect.

What a wonderful house for an exhibitionist to live in :yes: