Guest zipperzone

Was it the worst Oscars ever?

Guest zipperzone

Probably not - but it came close. It was the most boring. :angry:

Highlights: James Franco's looks

James Franco's ass in those tight white longjohns (see below)

Bob Hope's one liner re "Passover"

Celine Dion's singing of Charlie Chaplin's "Smile" during the obituaries

Low Points: Franco & Hathaway's utter lack of chemistry between the two.

James Franco in drag

Hathaway determined to show off every gown she had in her wardrobe

The tension caused by everyone wondering when Kirk Douglas was going to fall over (and shut up)

Christian Bale did not appear dressed as he had in American Psycho

Very few of the presenters were witty or funny

What was Justin Timberlake on?

This year's viewership 37.6 million

Last year's viewership 41.7 million

This is a drop of 4.1 million views - about 10%.

I bet no one gets a bonus in his pay check.

post-123031-047660000 1298977975.jpg

post-123031-058861600 1298977997.jpg

• Members

Anne Hathaway wildly surpassed my expectation of her performance. She was light and bubbly and energetic and witty for an actor. She managed a little song and dance and sold it IMO. She did have a boat anchor around her neck with Franco. Not that he isn't pretty eye candy, but he was way over is head in this role. She kept the show moving along with an arm around Franco's neck to keep him from going under for a third time.

Award shows as all other award ceremonies are generally boring experiences. The Oscars offer an extravganza of personalities and fashion. People tune in to see the personalities as human beings, not actors, and for the glitz. Viewers hope that maybe there will be car accident or two during the night. Some years they happen ususally the don't. The winners feel compelled to thank a lot of obscure people that are complete unknowns to viewers. It is good and right that credit is shared with those who helped get the actor to the winner's podium but it doesn't make for scintillating TV.

For every winner there are four losers on public display. That certainly tempers the excitement except for the blood sport crowd.

Some years the Master of Ceremony successfully pulls off a little comedy, ususally at the expense of a few or wrinkles in the show decorum. Producers get pushed out of shape as often as not and don't invite those back.

The bottom line is that the Oscar's has two purposes: to market movies and Hollywood and to permit the Hollywood community to 'honor' its own. A Roast format would probably get better notices but actors are actors not comedians. Laughing at themselves does not come as easy.

This year's Oscars was better than the alternative broadcast choices on that night. Since I don't expect too much from award shoes, that's usally enough for me to watch.

Guest EXPAT

This was the worst Oscar telecast in ages if ever. James Franco should never host. I actually enjoyed Anne Hathaway and she gets the Best Actress Award for complimenting Franco on his hosting abilities. This is what happens when you have actors host. They don't have the ability to comment as they go along with ease. And that is needed to keep the show moving. Even Bruce Villanch couldn't pull this one out of the dumpster with his one liners because they couldn't be delivered by these two actors.

By the way, Justin Timberlake was very timely with his commentary, but if you don't live in LA you would have no idea what he was talking about in his "I'm banksy" reference. . .

I loved Anne's wardrobe. She was at the top of the best dressed for me for the night.

The worst dressed for me was Kate Blanchett. It looked like she was wearing a toilet seat cover. Joan Rivers said it looked like she was suffering from a man-eating disease. Joy Behar said someone tweeted to her that it looked like Kate was wearing her grandmother's rocking chair. Here is Kate in all her glory:

post-105999-074421900 1298990437.jpg

Guest twinklover

:lol: "The worst dressed for me was Kate Blanchett. It looked like she was wearing a toilet seat cover." :rofl:

Very predictable awards if you believed the King's Speech would win picture and director as I did. Colin Firth is class act and I was very happy for him.

I preferred Rush over Bale but understand the outcome. Only "surprise" was Inception getting multiple technical awards.

Franco was ok. Such a sharp contrast to Gervais and the GGs show.