TotallyOz

Car Runs Down 40 Bicyclists At Brazil Critical Mass Ride

A motorist sped his car through a pack of more than 100 cycling activists in southern Brazil, sending bikes and screaming riders flying through the air and landing hard on the asphalt in a scene captured on amateur video and posted online.

At least 40 cyclists were injured, with most suffering cuts and broken bones, but nobody was killed, authorities said.

Police said the suspect, whose name they did not release, fled the scene of the incident Friday evening in Porto Alegre. He was brought in for questioning Monday after authorities found his abandoned car over the weekend.

The man claimed riders surrounded his vehicle and began beating on it, causing him to panic and fear for his life, police said.

But the lead investigator in the case called that version of events "fanciful," without giving other details.

Inspector Gilberto Montenegro told Globo TV network's G1 website that the man could face charges of attempted homicide. Under Brazilian law, prosecutors can decide whether to bring charges only after police close their investigation, which may take 30 days. The man is currently free.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/28/car-runs-down-bicyclists-brazil_n_829425.html

Guest twinklover

I've seen the Critical Mass demonstarions before. From the video, it's hard to tell what happened. But I do know this. I've seen them block traffic for many minutes during rush hour, harass drivers and pedestrians, and generally act like they didn't give a fuck about anyone else. I've seen drivers pull out baseball bats. So I'm not surprised that someone apparently flipped out and started mowing them down.