Guest FourAces

You Have 2 Envelops & 3 Choices

Guest FourAces

OK here we go. You are given two envelops, one contains the details on how you will die. The other contains the exact month day and year you will die.

You have three choices

- open the envelop with the details

- open the envelop with the date

- disregard both envelops

Keep in mind, for example, if you select the date ... it only means you will die at that time. It does not give you freedom to do whatever you want (i.e. you walk in front of a bus you might end up in a wheel chair till your death).

So which do you select and why?

• Members

Disregard. Why would I want to know any of this information? With the additional limitations mentioned, planning would likely be a waste of time, would it not?

Best regards,

RA1

Guest CharliePS

OK here we go. You are given two envelops, one contains the details on how you will die. The other contains the exact month day and year you will die.

You have three choices

- open the envelop with the details

- open the envelop with the date

- disregard both envelops

Keep in mind, for example, if you select the date ... it only means you will die at that time. It does not give you freedom to do whatever you want (i.e. you walk in front of a bus you might end up in a wheel chair till your death).

So which do you select and why?

This seems like a no brainer to me. What does it matter HOW you will die, since you can't do anything to change it? Does it make any difference whether sudden death results from a heart attack or a gunshot, or whether one dies slowly of cancer or Alzheimer's? However, if one knows WHEN one will die, one can plan to use the time left effectively. If I know I am going to die next year, I can stop saving my retirement assets and get that red Porsche convertible, or take that trip to see the French Open this year instead of waiting for my 75th birthday. On the other hand, if I have twenty more years left, maybe a solar panel energy system for the house would be a good investment, and I can relax and enjoy watching HGTV, because there will be plenty of time to write that memoir.

• Members

Charlie-

I think it makes a great deal of difference how you die. Look at the limitations again. If you are bed ridden for 6 or more months, how you die takes away many if not all of the opportunities to do things before you die, even if you know when. That plus the rest of it makes me not wanting to know any of it.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest CharliePS

Charlie-

I think it makes a great deal of difference how you die. Look at the limitations again. If you are bed ridden for 6 or more months, how you die takes away many if not all of the opportunities to do things before you die, even if you know when. That plus the rest of it makes me not wanting to know any of it.

Best regards,

RA1

The problem with only knowing HOW I will die is in the nature of the details presented. If I am simply told that I will be killed in an earthquake, then I will panic every time the earth rumbles, or if I am told that I will die in an auto accident, every time I get in a car, I will be extremely tense. If I am told I will die after three years as an invalid in a nursing home, but don't know whether those three years will start next week or when I am ninety-eight, how can I prepare for it? Knowing WHEN I will die is more useful, because I can start making practical plans immediately--unless, of course, I learn that I am due to be killed in a crash of the plane in which I am currently flying.

• Members

I have been asked once or twice if I am having a bad day (before a flight) apparently under the idea that a passenger likely won't affect more than him or herself while having a bad day but the pilot could affect the whole plane load of passengers. My reply is basically a variation of my announcement when we arrive back at the home airport. "Be careful driving home; the safest part of your trip is now over." ^_^

To carry the "how" to an extreme. Suppose I told you today that you have 5 years to the minute to live. You now know the "when". You start thinking of "things" to do. However, tomorrow you are diagnosed with an incurable disease; one of the nasty cancers or MS or ALS, etc. Now, you also know you will be in misery or worse for 5 bleeping years. Not a pleasant prospect to me.

I certainly understand your point but I have not been persuaded to be unhappy not knowing anything more than I already know.

Best regards,

RA1