TampaYankee

World's Most Liveable Cities

• Members

Based on a combination of environment, health care, culture and infrastructure, Vancouver topped the list of the world's most liveable cities for the fifth straight year, according to a new report.

As Reuters is reporting, the 2010 Winter Olympics host scored a whopping 98 percent in the 2011 Liveability Ranking and Overview by the Economist Intelligence Unit, which has ranked the Canadian west coast city at the top since 2007. Canada dominated the top 10 spots along with Australia, with Melbourne surpassing Vienna, Austria as the world's second most liveable city.

"Mid-sized cities in developed countries with relatively low population densities tend to score well by having all the cultural and infrastructural benefits on offer with fewer problems related to crime or congestion," said Jon Copestake, editor of the report, in a statement.

In 29th place, the top U.S. city was Pittsburgh, with Los Angeles moving up to 44th place and New York coming in at 56th. London moved up one place to 53rd while Paris came in at number 16. The top Asian city was Osaka at number 12, tying Geneva, Switzerland and beating out the Japanese capital of Tokyo, which came in at 18.

View photos of the world's most liveable cities here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/21/worlds-most-liveable-cities_n_825964.html#s243568&title=10__Auckland

• Members

I love Vancouver! I have visited a couple of times, always in the Summer. My only reservation about the city is the wet weather the rest of the year. I don't know how that would wear on me but I suspect I could endure it well enough. I cannot say it is the MOST livable simply because I have no first-hand knowledge of the runners up. But from what I know about Vancouver I would give it a go if I were younger with a more active lifestyle that comes with being younger.

Eveyone ought to visit at least once but beware that it could become habit forming. The West End is a must for the gay crowd.

Guest CharliePS

I have spent time in all of the top ten, and I have reservations about the "liveability" of all of them. If "environment" includes weather, then places like Calgary, Toronto, Vancouver, Vienna (where I have lived) and Helsinki (my god!) are not places I want to be in the winter. If "liveability" includes high culture and easy accessibility to other places, then you can forget Auckland, Adelaide and Perth. Sydney has a lousy local transportation system. Even Melbourne, which I love, has the disadvantage of a very long flight to almost anywhere else I might want to be.

• Members

Charlie-

Although I dearly love the OZies and the Kiwis they are in the middle of nowhere (or we are). ^_^

Let's face it, we love the place we live now (if we freely chose it) and like to visit elsewhere but don't want to live there. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

Guest CharliePS

Charlie-

Although I dearly love the OZies and the Kiwis they are in the middle of nowhere (or we are). ^_^

Let's face it, we love the place we live now (if we freely chose it) and like to visit elsewhere but don't want to live there. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

Actually, if I didn't care about travelling anywhere else, I could probably be happy in Melbourne or even Perth, both very attractive, civilized cities.

Based on a combination of environment, health care, culture and infrastructure, Vancouver topped the list of the world's most liveable cities for the fifth straight year, according to a new report.

As Reuters is reporting, the 2010 Winter Olympics host scored a whopping 98 percent in the 2011 Liveability Ranking and Overview by the Economist Intelligence Unit, which has ranked the Canadian west coast city at the top since 2007. Canada dominated the top 10 spots along with Australia, with Melbourne surpassing Vienna, Austria as the world's second most liveable city.

"Mid-sized cities in developed countries with relatively low population densities tend to score well by having all the cultural and infrastructural benefits on offer with fewer problems related to crime or congestion," said Jon Copestake, editor of the report, in a statement.

In 29th place, the top U.S. city was Pittsburgh, with Los Angeles moving up to 44th place and New York coming in at 56th. London moved up one place to 53rd while Paris came in at number 16. The top Asian city was Osaka at number 12, tying Geneva, Switzerland and beating out the Japanese capital of Tokyo, which came in at 18.

View photos of the world's most liveable cities here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/21/worlds-most-liveable-cities_n_825964.html#s243568&title=10__Auckland

Who the hell makes up these lists? At least three of the cities listed have unbearably long cold winters. That, in and of itself, makes them pretty unlivable to me.