Lucky

Phantom of the Desert

• Members

The recent rains have one upside: the mountains are snow-covered even at the lower elevations. But today I drive to San Diego to see Death of A Salesman. A long way to go for theater. We just closed a production of The Producers at the local theater, which was reported to be the best production ever at the theater.

Now the local high school kids are putting on Phantom of the Opera. Hopefully they found a group of non-drug users for the cast. (The paper today has stories on drugs in the local high schools following a big raid at Palm Desert High). It's been my experience that there is a lot of talent in high schools, especially singers. Just look at all of the teens on this season of American Idol. So, I hope they can pull it off. It's only been 6 months since the production was allowed to high schools, so Palm Springs must have jumped right on it. For the price, I think I might give it a go:

The Palm Springs High School Performing Arts Program will be among the first high school groups to perform Andrew Lloyd Webber's “The Phantom of the Opera.”

The musical was first offered to high schools in September 2010 by R&H Theatricals, which licenses the show.

The performance will be held March 4-5 and 11-12 at 7 p.m. and on March 6 at 2 p.m. in the high school auditorium, 2401 East Baristo Road.

Tickets cost $8, $10 or $20.

The program is also looking for sponsors to help underwrite the production, which includes a cast and crew of more than 80 and a full orchestra from the school music department.

Information: (760) 778-0419

(Press release taken from mydesert.com)

• Members

Dang that Death of A Salesman is a downer. This production has been called more severe than others, and it sure is. But in the beginning of the play we were told that Willy is 60, which seems too young for him to be losing his faculties, and the actor playing him saw 60 some time ago. Later we are told that he is 63. Anyone know why the discrepancy?

The show was very well-acted and worth the drive. On the way back, I saw the freeway sign "Other Desert Cities" which happens to be the name of a sold-out play at Lincoln Center! That was probably as close to seeing the play I will get.