Guest FourAces

Baseball So Soon?

Guest FourAces

Wow it just seems like yesterday when the Texas Rangers humiliated the NY Yankees in NYC to go on to the World Series :lol:

Seriously I cannot believe we have seen the start of Spring training. I'm hoping the Rangers will reach the World Series again ... and hopefully win this time :P

• Members

It does seem a bit early to be thinking baseball, doesn't it.

On the other hand, think of all the extra games we get to watch this fall if the NFL owners follow through on their threat to break the Players Association. :yes:

• Members

HS and college seasons are well under way. They have to finish before MLB is barely going well. That fact has made me wonder before how any team based very far north of FL, TX, SOCAL, AZ and that line could really ever be contenders for the CWS. And, I don't think there are any or very many.

Best regards,

RA1

FB and BB are my favorite seasons. Basketball is just something to do in between. ^_^

Guest CharliePS

HS and college seasons are well under way. They have to finish before MLB is barely going well. That fact has made me wonder before how any team based very far north of FL, TX, SOCAL, AZ and that line could really ever be contenders for the CWS. And, I don't think there are any or very many.

Best regards,

RA1

FB and BB are my favorite seasons. Basketball is just something to do in between. ^_^

I have been watching the CWS for years, and I can't remember any competitors that weren't from way south of the Mason Dixon Line.

• Members

Count me as one of the guys who think baseball cannot come soon enough. I plan to subscribe (again) to MLB's Extra innings, which gives me 80 games a week. True enough that I mostly watch Yankee games, but it does give me the ability to switch channels when a a particularly hot player is on. Hopefully Grady Sizemore will be back this season.

• Members

That fact has made me wonder before how any team based very far north of FL, TX, SOCAL, AZ and that line could really ever be contenders for the CWS.

Maybe my brain is just more addled than usual but I seem to remember a serious effort some years back by Midwestern and Northeastern schools to force a shortened baseball season on the SEC and other warm weather conferences. If I recall right, they were bitching that their shorter seasons put them at a disadvantage in recruiting top HS prospects.

I have no clear memory of how that was worked out by the NCAA.

And, I don't think there are any or very many.

You're right, RA1, CWS champs

north of Stanford are few and far between.

• Members

After a considerable time playing with his balls, Grady will take the diamond on Sunday if all goes as expected. As this Times article shows, Grady doesn't play much with his multiple injuries, but when he does, he plays well:

Sizemore To Play

gradyracy97.jpg

You can see Grady's balls right under the mug:

gradyracy94.jpg