TotallyOz

Yes, Chick-fil-A Says, We Explicitly Do Not Like Same-Sex Couples

Bet Chick-fil-A wishes this month would end. Over the past few weeks, the restaurant chain's deep ties to the anti-gay movement have been exposed and uncovered by a number of activists, most notably Jeremy Hooper at Good As You. Whether it's Focus on the Family, the National Organization for Marriage, the Pennsylvania Family Institute, or Exodus International, Chick-fil-A ties run deep.

Of course, the President of Chick-fil-A wants gay people to share no hard feelings. The restaurant will gladly feed homosexuals gobs of chicken sandwiches, after all. But when it comes to marriage, Chick-fil-A believes strongly that same-sex couples just don't deserve equal rights.

As we wrote about a few weeks ago, Chick-fil-A's charitable arm, the WinShape Foundation, has been particularly active in the fight against marriage equality. They've hosted conferences with some of the leading opponents of gay marriage in this country. A higher up at WinShape has even praised the efforts of anti-gay activist David Blankenhorn for working against marriage equality, and for articulating a solid reason why American culture should reject same-sex couples.

Now comes some email correspondence that Good As You has shared on their blog, where the WinShape Foundation's Retreat Center -- a center run by the charitable arm of Chick-fil-A -- admits that they have a severe distaste for LGBT people.

The email correspondence goes a little something like this. Someone writes WinShape an easy question about whether their retreat center is open to LGBT people. WinShape's response:

"WinShape Retreat defines marriage from the Biblical standard as being between one man and one woman. Groups/Individuals are welcome who offer wholesome, educational conferences and programs that are compatible with Biblical values and WinShape's purpose," WinShape wrote back.

Kind of some corporate speak, right? So the activist wrote back: can you just give a clear-cut answer? And WinShape confirmed:

"We do not accept homosexual couples because of the statement in our contract."

And so it goes like this: Chick-fil-A is a restaurant where franchises frequently donate to anti-gay organizations like the Pennsylvania Family Institute, Focus on the Family and others. The restaurant's charitable arm, WinShape, holds conferences for opponents of gay marriage and praises their work. And this charitable arm's Retreat program puts a blanket ban on gay couples using their facilities, because they "do not accept homosexual couples."

Yet the President of Chick-fil-A still says that all people, including LGBT people, are treated with respect by the restaurant? Huh, what a funny definition of respect.

Meanwhile, check this story out. So the Human Rights Campaign's NOMExposed project tried to submit an equality-minded video to the Ruth Institute's "Reel Love Video Challenge." The Ruth Institute is an affiliate of the National Organization for Marriage, and they're running a contest where folks can submit videos talking about what love means. The video below was originally accepted, but then promptly booted out of the project once the Ruth Institute became aware that it actually championed equality for same-sex couples.

Here's the kicker: the Ruth Institute's "Reel Love Video Challenge" has a tie-in to Chick-fil-A's WinShape Foundation. Wouldn't it be nice to hear why the Ruth Institute and the WinShape Foundation find the below video so offensive? After all, what is love if it isn't equal?

http://gayrights.change.org/blog/view/yes_chick-fil-a_says_we_explicitly_do_not_like_same-sex_couples

If you have ever been in one of their stores, it would not surprise you. They have signs posted announcing that they close on Sunday so that their employees can attend church and they play Christian rock music over the speakers at their stores.

It is a southern business founded on a set of principals that haven't changed. This position, as well as their pro-family, pro-church stuff plays well in their core markets. It is part of their business model. They really don't attempt to hide it.

There's a reason that you've never seen a Chick Fil A in Chelsea, the Castro, Provincetown or West Hollywood. Its not where they do business. They have a middle America, middle income model.

I like their food. Their employees are friendly and well mannered. Their stores are clean. For those reasons, I occasionally patronize their business even though my cardiologist objects.

Guest FourAces

If you have ever been in one of their stores, it would not surprise you. They have signs posted announcing that they close on Sunday so that their employees can attend church and they play Christian rock music over the speakers at their stores.

100% correct. And those of us in the South know that we do not want to spend our money at a joint that sends part of it to organizations that hate gay people.

There are several high profile fast food places with deep Christian beliefs that do not force their values on customers. In and Out is one that I respect for having balance in their beliefs. Does not mean I agree with them but I do respect them.

100% correct. And those of us in the South know that we do not want to spend our money at a joint that sends part of it to organizations that hate gay people.

There are several high profile fast food places with deep Christian beliefs that do not force their values on customers. In and Out is one that I respect for having balance in their beliefs. Does not mean I agree with them but I do respect them.

Here is a very good and much more balanced article on the issue from the New York Times. It hardly appears that Chick Fil A supports groups who hate gays. It does appear that Chick Fil A provided sandwiches for a luncheon held at a Christian marriage conference.

The world is so driven by those with narrow agendas these days, I always feel the need to investigate further when i read something like the original article that was posted here.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/30/us/30chick.html?_r=1&pagewanted=2&src=twrhp

You did read the article you linked, right?

"Over the years, the company’s operators, its WinShape Foundation and the Cathy family have given millions of dollars to a variety of causes and programs, including scholarships that require a pledge to follow Christian values, a string of Christian-based foster homes and groups working to defeat same-sex marriage initiatives."

It's a lot more than just sandwiches for haters.

• Members

I have eaten at Chick-fil-A very often. I think anyone that has eaten there very much is aware they are closed on Sundays and are owned by a religious family. I have no problem with that and actually always thought being closed on Sundays to be quite respectful and sort of a throw-back to the days of my youth when I spent my summers at my grandparents in the country. An uncle who owns a convenience store/gas station there now still closes on Sunday. My Grandmother was religious and a Baptist and probably one of the most loving, caring people I have ever met. I miss her dearly.

But I think being religious and closing on Sunday is one thing and supporting anti-gay groups are another. One of their stores providing food to any group doesn't bother me but actively supporting anti-gay groups does. Will I still eat there? I honestly don't know.

Ford Motor use to advertise in Gay publications and when they cut some ads a few years ago people were throwing stones at them, which I thought was stupid since they had been supportive in the past. I just bought a new Ford myself last summer. Bought American and from a company that did not take a Federal bailout. :thumbsup: (Great car by the way I am well pleased so far)

The head of Target has donated to candidates that seem anti-gay but have also given to candidates that are pro-gay rights. I still shop there. I am sure some of the candidates I have donated to in the past probably do not have perfect gay rights records but were supportive of other things that were important to me.

Cracker Barrel restaurants had some gay discrimination issues a few years ago but that is where my Mom wanted to eat on her birthday last month so I took her there. My gaydar went off a few times with a couple of their waiters while we were there. :yes:

Budweiser pulled the distributorship here in my hometown about 10 years ago when the distributor actively gave money to fight our gay rights ordinance. This was after all the gay bars refused to sell or stock Budweiser. So talking with your wallet can work sometimes. So where does one draw the line?

Will I think twice before eating at Chick-fil-A again? Sure, but if I crave one of their chicken sandwiches, ah, ah, ah I am not sure. :huh:

You did read the article you linked, right?

"Over the years, the company’s operators, its WinShape Foundation and the Cathy family have given millions of dollars to a variety of causes and programs, including scholarships that require a pledge to follow Christian values, a string of Christian-based foster homes and groups working to defeat same-sex marriage initiatives."

It's a lot more than just sandwiches for haters.

Supporting Christain values doesn't necessarily equate to gay hate. This whole thing has spawned from an independent operator's decision to provide sandwiches for a meeting of a pro-marriage fundamentalist organization.

I find the whole thing utterly ridiculous.

That's your take, it isn't mine. I think the whole thing springs from hearing about their anti-gay marriage activism, and I imagine that most of us object to that rather than their giving to christian foster homes.

I share the same antipathy towards the mormon church for its efforts on prop 8.

That's your take, it isn't mine. I think the whole thing springs from hearing about their anti-gay marriage activism, and I imagine that most of us object to that rather than their giving to christian foster homes.

I share the same antipathy towards the mormon church for its efforts on prop 8.

The fact that they donated sandwiches isn't my take. Its a fact.

If you hate them for being Christian, they by all means say that you hate them for being Christian. But, for gods sake, stop trying to make a fucking sandwich donation into a anti-gay marriage issue.

Its this kind of non-selective choice of controversy nonsense that makes the mainstream think that the gay rights movement is nothing more than the psychotic ramblings of some silly assed hypertensives.

Guest zipperzone

The fact that they donated sandwiches isn't my take. Its a fact.

If you hate them for being Christian, they by all means say that you hate them for being Christian. But, for gods sake, stop trying to make a fucking sandwich donation into a anti-gay marriage issue.

Its this kind of non-selective choice of controversy nonsense that makes the mainstream think that the gay rights movement is nothing more than the psychotic ramblings of some silly assed hypertensives.

I don't hate them for being Christians, I hate them for being bigots & hypocrites. They have no trouble welcoming us into their restaurants when we have a Interac card in our hands nor do they have any trouble in using the profit from such sales to try to adversely influence decisions on gay marriage. If you can't see that is wrong, then I don't know how to explain it to you.

You are arguing strawmen. No doubt it makes you feel good to thin we're all christian haters upset about sandwiches.

I dislike them because they donated significant resources to the anti-gay marriage folks. WHich is what I said if you'd actually read what I wrote. I couldn't give a rat's ass about their belief in the imaginary man in the sky. I care when they give money to anti-gay rights groups.