TotallyOz

Keith Olbermann gives abrupt goodbye to MSNBC show

Shocking I tell you! Shocking!

Keith Olbermann was MSNBC's most popular personality and single-handedly led its transformation to an outspoken, left-leaning cable news network in prime time. Despite that, he often seemed to be walking on a tightrope with his job. Friday night, it snapped.

Olbermann returned from one last commercial break on "Countdown" to tell viewers it was his last broadcast, and read a James Thurber short story in a three-minute exit statement. Simultaneously, MSNBC e-mailed a statement that "MSNBC and Keith Olbermann have ended their contract." The network thanked him and said, "we wish him well in his future endeavors."

Neither MSNBC President Phil Griffin, Olbermann nor his manager responded to requests to explain an exit so abrupt that Olbermann's face was still being featured on an MSNBC promotional ad 30 minutes after he had said goodbye.

Olbermann was nearly fired in November, but instead was suspended two days without pay for violating an NBC News policy by donating to three political campaigns, including the congressional campaign of Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords. He returned and apologized to his fans, but not the network.

For the full story:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/nation/7392738.html

As I mentioned in the Politics forum, I think this is related to the "change in control" with Comcast as the new owner effective next week. I doubt seriously their very conservative CEO would appreciate KO's style and they took care of his exit prior to the new company taking over. That way he gets the best exit package. It happens all the time in the corporate world when the writing is on the wall about the intentions of the new owners.

Guest zipperzone

That would be a reasonable explanation except that Olbermann has been fired from more jobs than a drunken factory worker.

I wouldn't care how many times I was fired if I walked off with a 14 million $ severance package.

I wouldn't care how many times I was fired if I walked off with a 14 million $ severance package.

Contracts. That's why some people act like jackasses.

I'm betting that he won't work again for any major news outlet-- to many bridges burned over the years.

Paula Abdul fucked up as well by wanting more money. Hello, I'll shovel shit 20 hours a day for 14 million dollars.

I think people let their ego get bloated and forget how much is at stake. But, if you are already a millionaire, do you really need another 14 million? (I would but some are happy to just go into the wild blue yonder).

I don't think we have seen the last of him. My friends are Olbermann fanatics and they will follow him wherever he goes and they won't be alone! He will be back in some venue. No doubt in my mind.

• Members

I think and hope you're right, TO. His views spawn public debate, if nothing else. I agree with most of them, although he's annoying to watch for more than a few minutes at a time.

If his voice disappears from the landscape, I think we'll be the worse for it.

Well, some of us anyway. rolleyes.gif

oreillymad3.jpg

Guest FourAces

I'm betting that he won't work again for any major news outlet-- to many bridges burned over the years.

I disagree. I am amused at times by KO and once in a while I feel he brings to light valid points. He will end up back on a major network ... no Conan TNT thingy for KO.

I disagree. I am amused at times by KO and once in a while I feel he brings to light valid points. He will end up back on a major network ... no Conan TNT thingy for KO.

CBS remains the only major network with whom he has not yet burned a bridge. Maybe as a overly caustic addition to the 60 Minutes crew or a morning Children's program called "Captain Slanderoo".